Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider 0r Rodenstock

Re: Schneider 0r Rodenstock

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Don't dismiss the Fujinon and Nikkors at this FL. Some awesome glass...
    Shhhh....lets keep it a secret

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    1. Because I need to learn cameras movements.

2. Because the other Schneider 150mm is twice the price.

3. Because, I'm thinking the next lens purchase will probably be a 90mm.

I'm looking to get a Chamonix as my first camera. Landscapes and architectural exteriors. I don't want to get in too far over my head.

Other than that, like the guy Steve says: Ya gotta start somewhere
    Well yes but if you want to do architectural you may do better starting with a 90 which is also good if you like wide angle landscapes whereas a 150 may be a little long for some architectural. I'm just thinking aloud here and not saying you must do this. Just giving you something to think about.

I'd get something wider for architecture.
    Either of those two brands are going to be fine.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    I'd get something wider for architecture.
    Either of those two brands are going to be fine.
    If you can spring for it, the 110mm SSXL from Schneider would be, in my opinion, a great option for Landscapes and Architecture.

Not too wide, super sharp and massive image circle.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I appreciate everyone's point of view, especially in the area of architectural photography. But would starting with a lens with a wider angle of view help in the learning process or complicate the learning process? Seems like an odd question I know but, with a wider angle of view comes changes in perspective does it not?

Also, having dabbled in B&W night photography with 35mm, I'm reminded of Andrew Sanderson's advice of staying with one lens for 2-3 years or longer, in order to become famiilar with that lens, thus the decison to go with 150mm. I would think that the opportunities for landscapes would be just as plentiful and more conducive to contemplative composition. But hey, this is a newbie talking remember.

I appreciate everyone's point of view, especially in the area of architectural photography. But would starting with a lens with a wider angle of view help in the learning process or complicate the learning process? Seems like an odd question I know but, with a wider angle of view comes changes in perspective does it not?

Also, having dabbled in B&W night photography with 35mm, I'm reminded of Andrew Sanderson's advice of staying with one lens for 2-3 years or longer, in order to become famiilar with that lens, thus the decison to go with 150mm. I would think that the opportunities for landscapes would be just as plentiful and more conducive to contemplative composition. But hey, this is a newbie talking remember.
    Don't forget about Caltars as well. And IMO for the first lens, a 150mm is a good choice for a 1 lens kit. For the second lens you can think about something wider (or longer), but the truth is the 150 will do a lot for you.

Since you are located in Cali - out west, a 150 mm will work very well for landscapes.

Don Bryant

the thing is that 150 is considered "normal" for no other reason than it is close to the diagonal of the film as is 50mm in 135 format. But the 5x4 ratio makes you see differently and the longer focal length brings things a lot closer than using a 50mm lens on 135. You have to find the focal length that is normal for you and not assume that 150 is normal. Personally I started with a 210 and would find 150 too short for normal. It depends what you photograph and how you frame. i.e. whether you like to get inclose or stand back and take it all in.

The schneider 110 XL is a stunning lens but pricey. Very sharp and is the widest lens I use. I have a 72 but it hasn't seen the light of day for a long time. I just don't see subjects that wide.
    If you are going to do mostly landscape to start then the 110, 150 or 210 are all good. But if you want to mix up landscape and architecture from the start then 72,90 or 110 would be better IMO.

Your best bet would be to find someone who can either lend you a camera with two or three lenses for a couple of days or go out with someone who has one and see which of their lenses you prefer for the subjects at hand. Or rent one for a couple of days. Then you would have a much better idea of what to start with.

If there is someone on the forum in your area I'm sure they would take you out for a day just to see what its all about.

The good people on this forum talked me out of buying new for lenses. You can get a used APO Symmar (pre-L) 150mm for about $500 in very, very good condition. If you don't like it later (you probably will though) you can sell it an lose little to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    It depends what you photograph and how you frame. i.e. whether you like to get inclose or stand back and take it all in.
    Well if it helps, I just finished a beginning B&W photography class. Of the lenses I had avaiable to me (50, 85, 28, & 50-135 zoom), I found myself using the 85mm more, and the 28mm most often. In fact, I found myself wishing I had a 24mm.

I was shooting mostly building exteriors with the 28mm. A coworker co-owns a restored WWII Spearman Naval trainer, and I just couldn't quite get the type of shot I was looking for with the 28mm, or the 85mm. Maybe I was trying too hard. But then again, I could only get access to the plane during lunch breaks, so I always felt rushed.