Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: packing a field camera in a check in suitcase? safe?

Downstairs

Re: packing a field camera in a check in suitcase? safe?

Done EU to US often. I learned to pack lenses with shutter an diaphragm open so they x-ray see-through like a doughnut. Never had problems with Gandolfi. Always had problems with Technika.

Depends on the suitcase and the camera. I used to pack a Linhof Technika in a hard suitcase all the time because the camera was bullet-proof when folded and the suitcase was well-built and solid. But I wouldn't pack a wood camera in a soft suitcase.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Glenn Mellen

a) Airlines in the US will NOT let you insure camera equipment (or electronics). You'll need to obtain insurance elsewhere.

b) Airlines will NOT let you lock your cases.

c) Airlines load planes as shown in the old luggage advertisements... ie: the one showing a group of gorillas throwing and beating it up.

Therefore, I ship anything I can't carry on in Pelikan cases via UPS or FedEx. They both let you lock your shipping cases AND allow one to insure the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Done EU to US often. I learned to pack lenses with shutter an diaphragm open so they x-ray see-through like a doughnut.
    ??? The main absorber for X-rays in the lens is the glass, especially the high index glasses, followed by the housing. The thin metal sheets of the shutter and aperture shoudn't add much to it. The images of my lenses I've peeked at on the airport control screens usually show a pretty opaque object where the lens is.

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    ??? The main absorber for X-rays in the lens is the glass, especially the high index glasses, followed by the housing......
    Thank for rectifying. I've been doing it wrong for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Thank for rectifying. I've been doing it wrong for a long time.
    Not really wrong-there is no harm in doing it! My experience is quite varied, sometimes they don't want to see anything, other times I had to open every lens bag and shutter, so they see its a lens. For the latter it would save time if the shutter is already open.
    And I try to carry the camera and lenses in my carry-on, the lenses sometimes in my jacket pockets in Europe because of their restrictive carry-on weight rules (most US carriers: 18kg/40lbs; Lufthansa, SAS and others: 8kg/14-15lbs).

Arne

I've heard tales of people putting their valuable gear in a day-glow Pelican case with designs spray-painted on in contrasting day-glow colors. They put an empty flare or starter pistol in with the gear and declare it as a weapon at the desk. The case will be locked by the TSA and handled with the utmost oversight. Between the weapons declaration and the blinding colors it's unlikely the case or contents will ever go missing.

I just returned via Northworst Airlines from SFO to Detroit with my carry-on of large format equipment. It went into my Osprey Sojourner, a roller bag with a backpacking harness that stows out of the way.

In it were my Wisner Tech Field 4x5, a Fuji 90mm, a 150mm, a 210mm, about 14 holders, pentax digital spotmeter, loupe, Blackjacket, 4 filters, clipboard, yaddah-yaddah. (Tripod went into a checked bag.) The Sojourner has a Photobackpacker backerboard, and cases for camera and 3 lenses.

Going to SFO it went through the scanner without comment; returning, I had it singled out for hand inspection, and then through the scanner again.

That was about it. If the exposed film is fogged, I'll find out when I develop it, and post to this forum.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Another airline traveler that packs toyo 4x5 field camera in luggage. I travel back and forth from Europe to the US quite a bit and have brought my 4x5 with me for the past 8 trips. Still nervous, but so far no problems. Film goes with me on the plane or I ship it.

Erick

I've just come back from a transatlantic trip and found it easier than I thought. The tripod, monorail itself, front and back standards, and double darks went into my suitcase, the latter two wrapped in clothes. The ground glasses and lenses went into my carry on, again wrapped in clothes. On the way out everything was hand inspected at Heathrow, but so was everything else on that particular flight. On the way back, there was nothing special.

I didn't take film, preferring to order that to be delivered to my US location and sending it for processing in the US before flying home. Carrying film through X-ray, especially in less developed countries (where they tend to turn the intensity of the machines up to compensate for the lack of a recent service) can be an issue.

My only real gripe was the film delivery: Badger Graphics promised me a three day delivery, and it ended up taking 6, losing me a couple of shooting days.

Good luck.

David.