Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film tent vs. Readyloads?

Film tent vs. Readyloads?

Hello David! The LF sea-kayak trip sounds like a great idea---very 1920's National Geographicy. Can you use the grafmatic film holder in your camera? It holds six sheets of 4x5 and as far as I know are only available used, but you might find it useful for your BW film. IMHO type 55 polaroid would be a great way to go. There was a thread a few days ago about it and someone suggested a more user friendly clearing agent than the usual sulfite(or is it sulfide?) Assumeing you've solved the logistical problems of sand, water, and salt air,etc...it sounds like type 55 was made for a trip like this. Good luck and don't drop it in the drink that last day out!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave---I just read Bill Jefferson"s post. Never mind about the type 55!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave - I have never used readiloads/quickloads but it seems obvious that at some point (amount of film), the tent and a few holders will be lighter, take up less space, and be far cheaper than quickloads. You need to assess how much film you'll need, then determine which works best based on space and weight. E.G. A harrison tent (which I have) weighs about 26 oz, a 50 sheet box of vevlia wieghs 10 oz., holders are about 6 oz a piece. When you get to the 150+ sheet range then I think the quickloads start getting bulkier and heavier than holders and a tent. Do the math ...

The dust problem can be minimized by wiping out the tent with a damp rag before loading. And if you are along the coast (sea kayaking) I wouldn't suspect dust to be an issue. One thing I will say is that for me the B&W film seems to attract dust far more than the Fujichrome - I don't know why.

Take the 4x5! I did a few Kayaking trips in SE Alaska and it was incredible, sublime beyond beleif. You'll want a big neg/chrome! Besides, you're not hauling it on your back! However, if you are in the PNW, it may be very wet/humid, which creates the opposite problem from dust. Robert Glen Ketchum did a book on SE Alaska and ended up using a pentax 67 becasue the condensation made it 4x5 too difficult.

Thanks so much for the responses so far! I think I'm going to seriously look at a Harrison film tent. I'm not too worried about dust as I'll be travelling down the B.C. coast. I think I can also deal with the humidity. I have previously used my own holders here on the coast for short trips and didn't have any problems with moisture. Now if only I can convince Fuji to sponsor me!.......

I second the Fuji 690/Mamiya 7 idea. Small, compact, outstanding lenses...less weight and fuss. The 690 takes incredible pictures, as does the 7.

Dave I have been using the Harrison Pup Tent for some time now and I can tell you it works like a dream. (not cheap though)I used to use a dark bag but keeping it clean, especially in the mts. was a real pain. Something else that you might want to consider is the Fuji Quickchange holder. Much like the old grafmatic holder with the six sptums but it holds eight sheets of film and of course you can use any film it doesn't have to be Fuji. Only problem is that is only available at Robert White in England or Japan. Nice thing is it will cut down on some bulk and weight. I notice you have a Canadian e- mail, I don't know where you live but the Harrison tents are available in Burnaby, B.C.