Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Film vs. Digital?

Re: Film vs. Digital?

Aaah those were the days my friend buying Kodachrome by the brick and burning it up in a camera with a motor drive.

ARS KC2UU

As this thread progresses I sense that, what we fail to recognize here as a group, is that we (i.e., professional and hobbyist photographers) are in the utmost minority. The vast majority of camera users are simply looking for good snapshots of family, friends, and locations where they have visited.

These are the people that are driving the digital revolution and I doubt that they care very much about the subject of this thread. So what if they shoot 500 frames in a day? It doesn't cost them any more and they get more chances at getting good memories of the kids and their vacations. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    I feel the overall message of the article hit the basic and most powerful difference between film and digital and that is "spray and shoot". When I am out in the field and run into a digital photographer and he boasts 500 frames in a day and boast two frames in a week, I think in my brain, "I win and he loses". I then proceed to steer the conversion to the power of his wonderous "avalanche of megapixels gear" and then end our brief encounter when I pop the real question, "So John Doe, how many big photographs have you sold?" I then watch my new acquaintance struggle for an answer as I depart.

Please note, I want to make one thing clear here. I do not see LF photographers who start with film and scan to digital as digital photographers. They are bound by the law of expensive finite film, and thus, are forced to think long and hard before they pull the trigger. My skill as a photographer did not become accomplished until I switched to a LF camera and was forced to be deliberate and visionary in my approach to photography. At that point, I became an artist and photography became secondary. Note, I am not famous nor will I ever be, but I do sell a lot of big pieces which is the hard stuff to sell.

In general, what I have noticed with digital photography is that it offers a very short learning curve because of the instantaneous feed back you get from the LCD image displayed on the back of the camera. So digital photographers get good very quickly, but then plateau and stay there relying on a "spray and shoot" appraoch which is a dead end cartoon. They never really move to the next step where the realm of art lives, and they may get a good one once in a while, but it is by chance, and not by being visionary and artful. Of course, the later is far more productive then the former.

Please note, this is a generalization with many exceptions. There are some very good digital photographers as well who are definitely artists.
    There's a lot in that, Stephen, and parts that I agree with. However, the fact that you spend a lot of time to make an image is irrelevant to my perception of that image. (And having visited your website, I think some of your photographs are very good). I'm also not sure that the film / digital thing is particularly meaningful. Your 500 frames per day digital shooter would probably also have burned a lot of film, and this is a theme that seems to have run through photography for some time. One day, Edward Weston can only use a Graflex; ... the Mexican clouds are so swift and ephemeral, one can hardly allow the thought, "Is this worth doing?" or, "Is this placed well?" - for an instant of delay and what was, is not! The Graflex seems the only possible way of working., but only five days later, he realises ... the Graflex is a spontaneous camera but lacks the precision of a view box planted firmly on a sturdy tripod. (The Graflex or 8x10 question runs like a thread through his diaries).

I think the real distinction is between spontaneity and planning, and consequently chance and art. Weston more often than not found a view camera to be the optimum tool, but it's not inconceivable that, if the Graflex had been technically more capable, he might have chosen a hand-held camera. If he had, I don't think it would alter my appreciation of his photographs - would it yours? By contrast, I see many reasonably good photographs on flickr, but precious few masterpieces; I don't think that would change if everyone used view cameras. I personally find a 4x5 and a DSLR to be an effective combination of tools.

Joshua Tree, California

Another newcomer gets his teeth kicked in. Thats why I won't be posting much, seems to be a very unfriendly crowd here.

Clay

Velvia alone provides the ultimate representation of purity, truth and photographic beauty. Digital, on the other hand, is the round-heeled handmaiden of all the hopelessly mendacious, obtuse and morally reprehensible hack photographers around the world.
    Did I get the argument right? Just wondering.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Another newcomer gets his teeth kicked in. Thats why I won't be posting much, seems to be a very unfriendly crowd here.
    Ed: No not really unfriendly. Just a hot topic. Stick around. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

It's sort of like you chose as your introduction to the forum the equivalent of finding a sports bar equidistant between New York and Boston, then chose to discuss Yankees vs. Red Sox.* Lively? Yes. Civil? Maybe not so much, but certainly not a boring discussion.

Honestly, poke about, read some threads, and I at least would like to know more about LF in the fashion world, so stick around.

Drew

*I grew up in central Connecticut, and don't care for baseball, so I'm overly familiar with my analogy.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

This is the most civilized and friendly forum I have ever belonged to. This guy was hardly a newcomer to the scene, and didn't get off to an easy start on the forum by not offering any contribution other than to press his own agenda etc.

Anyway, welcome to The Internet, where people speak their minds (one of the things I love about it).

Welcome to the LF Forum. Hope you decide to stick around, or at least read a bit. I suggest trying some of the other discussions, which can often be more interesting and informative, and much less confrontational.

You might as well judge this forum on the basis of a "film vs digital" thread as judge another forum on the basis of "Republican vs Democrat." Rather than judging the forum on the basis of this one thread, you might take a look at all the others on the front page. For the most part you'll find helpful, courteous, messages.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.