Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I plead temporary GAS insanity

Zebra

I plead temporary GAS insanity

Feel free to show your significant other that you are indeed quite sane in comparison.

I don't post here much except on other people's fine work, or in response to those afflicted who might want to get into 20 x 24, which is my own poison of choice, but I thought some here my get a kick out of my little geekdom of ULF.

I've been looking for a petzval for some time that would cover my 20 x 24 Wet Plate work so that meant the dallmeyer 7D and 8D have been on the radar for years now. Lo and behold the lens god's put one up on ebay right before christmas. I mean really the cruelty is palatable but who amongst us could say no. Alas I could not. I bid hard, in many ways too hard but alas I won the damn thing. It recently arrived. Santa lives on, although his fat ass could barely lift it he somehow got it to my house. 18.3 lbs of ever lovin' joy. Big. Really Big. Look for much of the gear I have accumulated over the years that I am not using much to start appearing in the for sale section as I definitely need to soften my landing a bit from the perch I launched myself from without looking to see the jumping conditions.

I'll post results next week as I have an opening for shooting all next week. I've posted a picture here of my daughter (a frequent sitter and who will be the first to sit next week for the 8D) holding the gianormous hunk o' glass.

Moderators; it is not a LF shot, but instead LF related so if I have overstepped my bounds and the guidelines of this fine site please feel free to delete.

best

Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Counti and Lens 003.jpg  

Re: I plead temporary GAS insanity

No problem, the shot references LF equipment. BUT......sanity not aside.......

What are you going to mount that beast on? Certainly not anything you are taking into the field?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Now, *that's* a lens. Kudos to your daughter for humoring you and clutching daddy's lens for dear life. I'm glad the lens went to a working photographer and look forward to seeing your images.

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    No problem, the shot references LF equipment. BUT......sanity not aside.......

What are you going to mount that beast on? Certainly not anything you are taking into the field?
    It would be nice if I could answer that in the affirmative that yes I am smart enough not to go into the field. Alas I am unable to claim even that last refuge of sanity. I go into the field often. You probably don't remember Kirk but we met in Rockford at the view camera conference. I had my 20 x 24 Ebony there. That's what it will go on. The lens just fits inside 9 inch lensboards which is what my camera takes but I am having a local machine shop make up some aluminum lensboards that will allow for clearance into the camera when mounted, extra strength etc. If you're out east come on out and play around with it--it would be good to cross paths again.

best,

Monty

Oh, you kid. That's a Photoshop'ed picture if ever I saw one.

Yes I do remember. I would love to get out that way. I'll be at the NELFPC shindig in April.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

That puppy needs its own brace mount, stand/cart with wheels, something like this

Oh I finally picked up the wetplate from Marie, thanks a bunch, will we see you this April at Steve's.

Robert

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Yes I do remember. I would love to get out that way. I'll be at the NELFPC shindig in April.

Steve is an incredible man and the work he, Gene and all the others are doing with the NELFPC is really inspiring. I am hoping to be out there but work will more than likely make it difficult. One can hope anyway. Have a great time and make sure you demand to have some Dumante, in fact it should be part of your contract!

monty

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    That puppy needs its own brace mount, stand/cart with wheels, something like this

Robert
    Dear Robert,

Now that is funny...

jim k

Damn, and I thought my 5A was big...