Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Camera

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Great idea but how is the front end when you put that Luc shutter and a heavy brassie on it?
    Thanks, Frank.

The lens is about 240mm Focal, so it's not too long. As such, it is possible to rack out the rear extension, leaving the weight of the lens/iris fairly close to the tripod point.

Would eye put a 360mm f6.3 on it and rack it out to full extension? Nah (although I suspect that it could take it for a short shoot). But I will be looking at a 360-400mm tele for it.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

Quote Originally Posted by gari beet View Post
    Hi Lachlan, very nice. Is thisgoing to be available, sans shutter, as a retail item or is it just a custom build? I have been looking at the TFC but wanted more reach.

Gari
    Gari,

Just received a response from Mr Zhang saying:

"We will put this camera into our catalog very soon".

I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Lachlan.

<my-humble-opinion>

The non-folding design is lovely. I have never liked the fuss and clutter of folding view cameras.

I think a 5x7 with bellows extension up to 1000mm would be very attractive. Perhaps triple-rail would be required.

The Sinar Shutter is a "killer app", without which one is limited to lenses of a more... pedestrian nature.

If I shot mountain scenes, I'd love to be able to use a 480mm or 600mm APO Nikor.

Another option is to make an 8x10 which accepts the Sinar Shutter, and place a 5x7 back on it.

</my-humble-opinion>

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    The non-folding design is lovely. I have never liked the fuss and clutter of folding view cameras.
    Yep, it certainly didn't worry me when I was told that it wouldn't fold! So much quicker and more accurate to set up and break down. Shen Hao does a great detent for the front swing as well... Very solid notch.[/QUOTE]

I think a 5x7 with bellows extension up to 1000mm would be very attractive. Perhaps triple-rail would be required.
    Want Mr Zhang's email address (or do you want me to stop playing Devil's Advocate?)

The Sinar Shutter is the "killer app", without which one is limited to lenses of a more... pedestrian nature.
    Just another field camera without it!

If I shot mountain scenes, I'd love to be able to use a 480mm or 600mm APO Nikor.
    This 4x5 will take a Fujinon 600mm Tele (Just, and you might need a support under the lens!!).
    Lachlan.

Hi,
    This is very interesting!!!. I know the questions was asked earlier about if the camara will take lenses on a Sinar board. I would like to be more specific, will this new camera accept lenses in a Sinar DB mount and board?

Thank you,
    Paul
    "It says one-quarter second at f/32, I'll give it one second." Edward Weston

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Hi,
    This is very interesting!!!. I know the questions was asked earlier about if the camara will take lenses on a Sinar board. I would like to be more specific, will this new camera accept lenses in a Sinar DB mount and board?

Thank you,
    Paul
    Paul,

I don't see why it won't (given it accepts Sinar boards and Sinar shutter).

Just be aware that the front standard is possibly thinner that the Sinar one. This might cause the rear element to be closer to the shutter. Having never used a DB mount, I don't know. (I got this to mount brass lenses that mostly have their flange at the rear of the lens).

However, if it is an issue, I have no doubt that you could ask for a deeper mount to be made. It's not a major design change (although you will possibly sacrifice a bit of your short lens optuions...)

If you want something measured, please feel free to ask!
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Here are a few shots showing:

1. The front swing range with the standard bellow (leaves about 10mm free to swing further when a bag bellow is used);

1. Maximum compression distance with the standard bellow and the Sinar shutter in place;

1. Maximum compression with just the standard bellow; and

1. Minimum flange distance without bellow.

It looks like a 72mm Super Angulon XL should be able to be used without a recessed lens board when bag bellows are used. Once I get the bag, I'll put some more shots up showing maximum movements.
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Gari,

Just received a response from Mr Zhang saying:

"We will put this camera into our catalog very soon".

I'll keep an eye out for it.

cool as hell! I want one. Will be watching...

Thanks!

nice camera, does the front tilt?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wei View Post
    nice camera, does the front tilt?
    Alex,

Yep. As well as swing and shift.

Rear tilt and swing.
    Lachlan.