Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Camera

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

Quote Originally Posted by jackpie View Post
    Lachlan have you had the opportunity to use your lovely new camera?

How is it working for you?
    No problems whatsoever.

As you can see in one of the photos I posted, I use a big Brass on it with a Sinar Shutter and a lens iris. No issue.

I figure a big 300mm would be good to go as well.

As with most Chinese cameras, a brighter screen might be a useful option.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen Hao 4x5 prototype - Sinar compatible and 72-400mm range... All in a Field Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    it's kind of like one of those bicycles made from wood!
    Actually, Frank, more like one of those bicycles made from metal, given the first bicycles were made from timber and improved when someone thought "there's a better product to make them from".

I still have no idea why a field camera wasn't available with a Sinar-sized lens board option prior to this, especially given the range of Sinar-fitting products out there.
    Lachlan.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Is it the "new" XPO 4x5 model?

Rick "finding Badger's descriptions utterly lacking" Denney
    I think so, Rick.

Maybe Badger doesn't realise what this camera's all about?
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    I still have no idea why a field camera wasn't available with a Sinar-sized lens board option prior to this, especially given the range of Sinar-fitting products out there.
    While uncommon [unknown?] on 4x5 field cameras, Dick Phillips’ cameras, prior to his producing 4x5s, used a Sinar sized board. He realized most studio photographer used Sinars, so why make them change out lens boards to go into the field? The best part was the boards were made of wood so no machine shop was needed to mount.

Mike

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jones View Post
    While uncommon [unknown?] on 4x5 field cameras, Dick Phillips’ cameras, prior to his producing 4x5s, used a Sinar sized board. He realized most studio photographer used Sinars, so why make them change out lens boards to go into the field? The best part was the boards were made of wood so no machine shop was needed to mount.

Mike
    Shame that he didn't continue with the idea.

One thing to note with this camera is that, due to a bigger front standard, it is not lightweight model. That is not to say that it is the Rosanne model (fat and ugly); it is just a little more substantial than the Chamonix I handled yesterday. But it can do a lot more than the Cham, so swings'n'roundabouts.
    Lachlan.

Looks like a shen-hao version of Ebony 45SU.

How heavy is it? the original 45SU weights around 2.7kg, way too heavy for a field camera IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    After about 50 emails, 3 months of design discussion and a delay due to having to send my Sinar shutter to Mr Zhang in Shanghi, my new Shen Hao has arrived.

The design Brief was as Follows:

• Allow the use of a Sinar Auto Aperture Shutter so that I can shoot barrel lenses without needing a rail camera

• Allow lenses from 70mm to 360mm

• Something about red bellows...

Anyway, Mr Zhang has once again excelled with a new design.

The new camera accepts the shutter perfectly.

Not only does it go to 360mm, it then travels another 40mm. (I wasn't expecting that; very nice surprise!)

It will focus a 72mm SAXL with the standard bellows (although it will need a bag for anything more than basic movements, but, being Sinar compatible, this will be easy and somewhat cheap).

I can't wait to get out into the field to shoot some portraits without the bulk of my Horseman. Not only have I cut a massive amount of weight and bulk (I will be able to use a "standard" tripod and head ), this thing will set up in no time!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by shadowleaves View Post
    Looks like a shen-hao version of Ebony 45SU.

I just Googled the 45SU.

I see very little in common with this camera.

For instance, this has a non-tapered bellow. It has a quad extension. It takes Sinar lens boards.

So, with respect, I don't know where you see the similarities.
    Lachlan.

Dear Lachlan;
    Is the metal hardware on your camera gold anodized or did you shoot the camera with a warming filter or gold reflector? Have you gotten to use the camera yet and if so how rigid is it fully extended compared to the Chamonix? The camera is just beautiful and its versatility would be perfect for 99% of the studio work I do. Have you found anything you would change in its performance or design?
    Thank you for your review and the great pictures.
    Denise Libby

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    Dear Lachlan;
    Is the metal hardware on your camera gold anodized or did you shoot the camera with a warming filter or gold reflector? Have you gotten to use the camera yet and if so how rigid is it fully extended compared to the Chamonix? The camera is just beautiful and its versatility would be perfect for 99% of the studio work I do. Have you found anything you would change in its performance or design?
    Thank you for your review and the great pictures.
    Denise Libby
    Hi, Denise.

I think that it's a play of the light; more the colour balance of the (yuk) digital camera that I used. Drop me a PM and let me know where you're based; I might be in that neck of the woods soon and can show you (i.e. I travel a lot!!)

To be honest, I wouldn't change anything except the ground glass. As per usual, the Chinese glass is not very good. I'm thinking about dropping Mr Maxwell an email...

What lens(es) are you thinking about using on this? As you will see in one of the shots, I have a medium/large Brassie, a Lens Iris and the Sinar Shutter hanging off the end. No worries! I would be reasonably happy to load up a f5.6 300mm Plasmat on this indoors. I think that wind would effect the camera at full extension with a large lens aboard. I might think twice about a 360mm f6.3 at anything closer than infinity. So, to answer your question: I think that this is considerably more stable, mm for mm at the long end, than the same extension on the Chamonix.

One thing that I will say about this in comparison to the Cham is that it is a whole lot quicker to set up and zero. Fundamentally, this is due to a fixed back, but it is also assisted by having the quad extension system. Really a quite ingenious system!

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.
    Lachlan.

Lachlan, have you tried installing the Sinar single or double-fold wide-angle bellows? I wonder if they will fit inside the box without interference or distorting the front standard position, using a very short lens.

Rick "curious" Denney