Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xtol, multiple tests in same soup ??

Xtol, multiple tests in same soup ??

I would appreciate your thoughts, as I have so few.

I was doing some developing/time testing the other day. Then it occurred to me that I may have messed up my findings, by reusing the same developer.

I was using Xtol 1+1. I understand its capacity is about 4-4x5 sheets per 100ml of stock solution. My tank holds about 1000ml so I had 500ml of stock solution in the tank, plus 500ml of water. So, I figure that 1000ml of mix is good for 20 sheets.

My thinking is that I am using it one shot, do my thing then dump it. What I did was, run a couple of sheets, evaluate the results, adjust the time, and run a couple of more sheets in the same soup. I did this for about 5 or 6 times, for a total of 10 or 12 sheets.

SO, here's the question. Even though I'm within the capacity window of the developer, would the developer be more active for the first sheets? My guess is yes, but enough so that what I did was a bad idea.

Appreciate your time,
    Thanks
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Octogenarian

Re: Xtol, multiple tests in same soup ??

As long as you adjusted the time, and did not exceed the capacity of the developer, there should not be a problem.

A developer does tend to slow down as it is reused. however, increasing the development time should compensate for this effect.

Gem,
    I did not increase the time. But I do see there is some reference in the Kodak stuff I have. I'm trying to decipher it as I type this.
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    Gem,
    I did not increase the time. But I do see there is some reference in the Kodak stuff I have. I'm trying to decipher it as I type this.
    Thx
    Sadly unless you intend to use exactly the same method in future your tests cannot be considered trustworthy.

Repeat the test with fresh 1+1 or whatever dilution you decide for each sheet or batch or how you do your testing. Whatever you do though, always do it exactly as you have done your testing.

I just read that, full strength there is little change for the first few sheets. Then there is a time comp chart.

But, I also just read; Do not replenish or reuse diluted developer.

Guess I was just being cheap. Got this new 1000ml tank, and its giving me schwintches using that much juice. I've been using little trays and a couple hundred ml.

Octogenarian

Tim,

It is possible to reuse diluted developer up to it's capacity providing it is used it within a short time frame.

Pouring it back into a container and using it the next day, or a few days later, is not a good idea. Diluted developer oxidizes rapidly.

Developing the first batch of films at the selected time, then immediately developing a second batch of films in the same diluted developer,with a slight time increase, is okay.

Just don't exceed the capacity (based on the amount of concentrate used, not the total amount of diluted working solution).

Oh man you all belive what big yellow father say he!
    I even use my XTOL 1:1 replenish and always for a 1/2 year Kodak prefers you buy more of the soup, they make money!
    I replenishe my 10 liter tank which I only use for my 8x10 inch so about all 2 months.
    I do it like this: The soup in the tank is at 1:1 from the beginng. For example I did not use it for 2 months but its covered and in a cool place. So I take 1 liter out of the 1:1 soup and put 1 liter fresh soup not diluted so I get almost the fresh times from the beginning. If I did not use it for 3-4 month then I take 2 liters out of it and put 2 liters full strengs back. This way it works even at 1:1 after 6-8 month I start with fresh one at 1:1.
    If I know I have very much developing in front of me I use it undiluted for at least 1 year with only replenishing at every new session.
    XTOL ist the best soup, but don't drink it!

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Oh man you all belive what big yellow father say he!
    I even use my XTOL 1:1 replenish and always for a 1/2 year Kodak prefers you buy more of the soup, they make money!
    I replenishe my 10 liter tank which I only use for my 8x10 inch so about all 2 months.
    I do it like this: The soup in the tank is at 1:1 from the beginng. For example I did not use it for 2 months but its covered and in a cool place. So I take 1 liter out of the 1:1 soup and put 1 liter fresh soup not diluted so I get almost the fresh times from the beginning. If I did not use it for 3-4 month then I take 2 liters out of it and put 2 liters full strengs back. This way it works even at 1:1 after 6-8 month I start with fresh one at 1:1.
    If I know I have very much developing in front of me I use it undiluted for at least 1 year with only replenishing at every new session.
    XTOL ist the best soup, but don't drink it!

Cheers Armin
    Correct me if I am wrong but if you start with a tank of 1:1 to maintain the same developer proportions should you not replenish it with 1:1 to maintain the same strength working solution?

My point is that if you add Xtol full strength a month of two into the future you are randomly changed your dilution ratios to slowly get back to full strength Xtol.

I use undilute XTOL replenished. 90-100ml per 35mm roll. For 4x5 sheets (I've only processed two) I also used 90ml. I guess I could use only 45ml... The nice thing with XTOL is that the replenisher is the same as the dev.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    My thinking is that I am using it one shot, do my thing then dump it. What I did was, run a couple of sheets, evaluate the results, adjust the time, and run a couple of more sheets in the same soup. I did this for about 5 or 6 times, for a total of 10 or 12 sheets.

SO, here's the question. Even though I'm within the capacity window of the developer, would the developer be more active for the first sheets? My guess is yes, but enough so that what I did was a bad idea.
    The answer is indeed yes. The point of testing is to test the actual working process. So you should clearly use your intended process to make the tests valid.

That said, the way you did it should give you reasonable real world results. That's because you have plenty of "excess" stock left in the tank. By running sheets previously, you've depleted working developer from the tank, thus raising the dilution a bit. But really, not by much.

I think that the results you have aren't entirely worthless. All you really should do is confirm your results using the developer as you always intend to use it. You may find you need a little tweaking, but probably very little.

Bruce Watson