Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Washington (the state)

Greetings from Washington (the state)

Hi
    I have been lurking for a while, thought I would introduce myself. I have been a photographer for 39 years now( professionally for 30+ year). My love is large format B&W. I hope to try wet plate and other alternative processes. I live on a island in the middle of Puget Sound called Vashon.
    Michael

Re: Greetings from Washington (the state)

Welcome to group therepy, Michael! Several folks around here seem to be into wet plate...should be able to get some good info from them.

An old friend from my distant youth lives on an island up there...her name is Mary Alice Noll ???? (can't recall her married name right now )...don't happen to know her, do you?

Hi, Michael.

Are you anywhere near LaPush? I wish I had been into large format way back when I spent an afternoon on the huge beach there many years ago. Sea stacks and for over a mile, I never touched the rocks, just jumped from one giant washed up log to another. Definitely a large format paradise in your region.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Welcome to the club. Very close to you as well- so many LFers seems to be from Washington state.

Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy, Michael! Several folks around here seem to be into wet plate...should be able to get some good info from them.

An old friend from my distant youth lives on an island up there...her name is Mary Alice Noll ???? (can't recall her married name right now )...don't happen to know her, do you?
    Vick
    Dosen't ring a bell, though I will ask my wife who knows most people on Vashon! There are other islands in the Puget Sound like Bainbridge, Orcas, Lopez, San Juan and others. Could she be on one of those? Vashon is the southern most island between Tacoma and Seattle. The only way to get here is by ferry, there is no bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Hi, Michael.

Are you anywhere near LaPush? I wish I had been into large format way back when I spent an afternoon on the huge beach there many years ago. Sea stacks and for over a mile, I never touched the rocks, just jumped from one giant washed up log to another. Definitely a large format paradise in your region.
    Lenser
    LaPush is on the Washington coast and a 3 hour drive from Vashon. I love this area and couldn't imagine living any place else.

Hi Michael,

Welcome, and good luck w/ your wet plate and alternative process work! I hope you'll be able to share it w/ the forum soon, the images and the stories. And w/ 39 years of photography behind you, I’m sure you’ve captured a lot of beautiful Puget Sound scenery already. Are most of those years LF years? Or did you start out like many of us, in a smaller format? We look forward to your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Hi Michael,

Welcome, and good luck w/ your wet plate and alternative process work! I hope you'll be able to share it w/ the forum soon, the images and the stories. And w/ 39 years of photography behind you, I’m sure you’ve captured a lot of beautiful Puget Sound scenery already. Are most of those years LF years? Or did you start out like many of us, in a smaller format? We look forward to your posts.
    I got bite by the LF bug early on in by career, 1977 or so. As I figure out the site I will post images. Thank you for you kind responses.

Hey, I grew up in Des Moines looking out at Vashon Island. Well OK it was actually Maury Island, but we often went to the Vashon Island light house for picnics, and I did earn summer money picking strawberries on Vashon Island. And, a couple of my school mates went to work for K2 on the island.