Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP5 in D76 1:3 times

HP5 in D76 1:3 times

HI

I am looking to develop my 8x10 HP5 sheets in D76 diluted 1:3. I am using a unicolor tank and roller and am looking to try to avoid some streaking that I have experienced thus far using the rotary processor. I have theorized that my previous use of DDX at 1:1 results in streaks and splotches on parts of my negative that have uniform tonality (such as sky). This occurs when I pour in the developer, which takes a good 20 seconds. D76 at 1:3 is much more slow acting, and I have read about success with 1:3 in avoiding the problems I have experienced.

Does anyone use d76 at 1:3 with HP5 and have a good normal time to start out with? If you are not using a rotary processor or if you are, just let me know. Thanks a lot!

Scott

Re: HP5 in D76 1:3 times

Dear Scott,

Here is a good place to start...

Select your film, then select your developer.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php

Do you want to print the images directly in the darkroom, or do you want to scan them for further use?

jim k

Ilford HP5 Plus Fact-Sheet.

Why 1:3?

1:2 is easier to mix, easier to expand development, etc.

Octogenarian

Scott,

The streaks and splotches that you have been experiencing are probably the result of the method of agitation you are using, not the type or concentration of the developer.

DDX was formulated by Ilford as an ideal developer for HP-5+ film.

Try it at the 1+9 dilution from concentrate.

Use the times for rotary development.

I am with Mr. Singer on this. DDX is a great developer, keeps well in concentrate and should be used at a minimum dilution of 1:4 and can be used at higher dilutions such as 1:9. Also, how much chemistry are you using in your Unidrum? When I used the 8x10 drum I used about 12oz/run if I remember correctly. Try the DDX again and I think that you will be happy with it.

While concentration in and of itself doesn't create streaks, in your case the length of time it takes to pour in the developer combined with the 1-1 concentration could be creating your problem so 1:3 is worth a try IMHO.

D76 is a great general purpose developer, it's been on the market for almost 100 years. I used it as my exclusive developer with HP5+ and TMax 100 for many years (at 1-1 but I used the BTZS tubes which don't require a significant pouring time). Rather than having to do your film speed and developing times all over again with a new developer (which by itself is not going to fix your problem) and having to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of a new developer I'd stick with what you know and presumably have tested, particularly when D76 by itself isn't causing the streaking problem.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you do want a change......

I have been very pleased with HP5+ @ EI 250, Xtol 1:3, 68F, continuous agitation in a Jobo tank, start with 10 minutes. Vary to taste. I use a funnel and tube from the auto oil change section at Walmart to pour the developer into the tank. Start drum turning. Pour. Start timer. Dump with 25 seconds to go. Pour stop when timer buzzer goes off.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by sa11 View Post
    I am looking to develop my 8x10 HP5 sheets in D76 diluted 1:3. I am using a unicolor tank and roller and am looking to try to avoid some streaking that I have experienced thus far using the rotary processor. I have theorized that my previous use of DDX at 1:1 results in streaks and splotches on parts of my negative that have uniform tonality (such as sky). This occurs when I pour in the developer, which takes a good 20 seconds. D76 at 1:3 is much more slow acting, and I have read about success with 1:3 in avoiding the problems I have experienced.

Does anyone use d76 at 1:3 with HP5 and have a good normal time to start out with? If you are not using a rotary processor or if you are, just let me know. Thanks a lot!

Scott

Some years ago in a conversation with Fred Newman of the View camera store about BTZS technique he mentioned that he had been using D76 1:3 with drum processing of ULF film and that this eliminated some problems he had been having with streaking or uneven development with stronger dilutions. This make some sense to me, though I use pyro developers and never tried it myself.

I would suggest that you combine a presoak with the weaker developer dilution when developing in drums.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I can't say much about your developer, but I do use unicolor drums for all of my film.

Try a presoak of the film, and also try mixing your chemicals with distilled water if the mottling remains. Use a sufficient amount of chemistry (I use 500ml for one 8x10 or 4-4x5). One other trick is to pick up the drum every minute and give an end-to-end slosh. Some argue that this helps redistribute chemistry that may be concentrating in certain areas because the rollers only have one axis of movement.

The drum I use has grooves to fit 1 8x10 or 4-4x5, and it leaves a space between these grooves which should be oriented towards the bottom of the roller. This allows you to pour in chemistry (how much I don't know) without film contact.
    Peter Y.