Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new year day

Re: new year day

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...but how many fingers do I hold up to get "zero"?
    It is called a fist -- right on, brother!

I really don't beleive this...

Lets make it simple for the binary boy...

when the units column is full we put a 1 in the tens column so we have 10. The fact that units column is full means we have used all 10 digits which means it is a complete 10. So that means at the end of year 9 we have completed the decade. How would it be possible to have something in tens column if the decade wasn't complete.

Logic obviously isn't your strong point. Stick to binary as you only have 2 digits to worry about. When you've worked that one out you can progress decimal.

OMG, Y2K all over again. !

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    When you are born, you begin year 1 of your life. When you complete that year, you turn 1.
    So what is the problem? Even by your own logic the beginning of the new millenium was on January 1, 2000, and will end on December 31, 2999, and the beginning of the next decade will be on January 1, 2010 and end on December 31, 2019.

You seem to be making this a lot harder on yourself than it should be.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Funny how this discussion comes up every 10 or 100 years over and over again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Funny how this discussion comes up every 10 or 100 years over and over again!!!
    Blimey! Are you telling me you remember this coming up a hundred years ago. Your memory must be better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    I really don't beleive this...

Lets make it simple for the binary boy...

when the units column is full we put a 1 in the tens column so we have 10. The fact that units column is full means we have used all 10 digits which means it is a complete 10. So that means at the end of year 9 we have completed the decade. How would it be possible to have something in tens column if the decade wasn't complete.

Logic obviously isn't your strong point. Stick to binary as you only have 2 digits to worry about. When you've worked that one out you can progress decimal.
    If you are just pretending to be stupid for the sake of an argument, I have to say you are doing an awfully good job of it...

I asked you a very simple question which you ignored and went on with these idiotic diatribes instead.

Here is the question again, a very simple one:

Which was the first year A.D., year 0 or year 1?

Once you figure that one out, we can maybe progress further.

Hint: we are talking about calendars here, not about numeral systems.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    So what is the problem? Even by your own logic the beginning of the new millenium was on January 1, 2000, and will end on December 31, 2999, and the beginning of the next decade will be on January 1, 2010 and end on December 31, 2019.

You seem to be making this a lot harder on yourself than it should be.

Sandy King
    Not really. By the logic I'm using, January 1, 2000 was the beginning of the last year of the previous millennium.

The calendar we are using began with 01/01/01 Not 01/01/00 (mm/dd/yy). Year 1, in other words, was the first year of the first millennium and therefore, Year 10 was the last year of the first decade and year 1000 was the last year of the first millennium, and so on.

A man born on January 1, Year 1 A.D. would celebrate his first birthday at the end of the first year of his life and then turn 1 year old at the start the second year of his life. That person would officially be 1 year old throughout the second year of his life, and so on.

There is no problem really, I just made a factual remark and the things started rolling when the usual trolls started pitching in. You are right, this IS unnecessary - I really don't need to prove the obvious to those who can't or won't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    If you are just pretending to be stupid for the sake of an argument, I have to say you are doing an awfully good job of it...

I asked you a very simple question which you ignored and went on with these idiotic diatribes instead.

Here is the question again, a very simple one:

Which was the first year A.D., year 0 or year 1?

Once you figure that one out, we can maybe progress further.

Hint: we are talking about calendars here, not about numeral systems.
    You'd be wrong about that as well because the current international date system we all use does have a zero in it. You are making a foolish attempt to try and tie our current date system to AD 1. You just can't do that because it suits you to do it. It is not tied to BC/AD in the way it used to be a long time ago,

Ok, so you are not pretending, after all. Whatever, this is dragging way to far, I have better things to do than keep trying to prove the obvious to the blind.

Out.