Thread: Greetings from Dorset!

Greetings from Dorset!

Hello folks

I'm about to immerse myself in large format photography, (multiple purchase's impending!) and luckily came across your forum. Expect a few laughably novice questions over the next few days

I've always been a 35mm kind of guy with journalistic inclinations, currently I shoot the majority of my images on a FED half frame so its quite a big step into the relative unknown of large format!

I was teetering on the brink of bidding on a Toyo 10 x 8 field camera yesterday but bailed out due to an alarming lack of knowledge (lenses, shutters and lensboards mainly).

Anyway, hello from sleepy Dorset!

Mike

Re: Greetings from Dorset!

Mike, are you aware of the UKLFPG forums? We have members from all over the UK who have much more local knowledge.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

I am now thanks Joanna!
    Many thanks indeed.

Don't be afraid, but make sure acquiring a new format fits your photographic vision.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Welcome to group therepy, Mike! Lots of folks here from the UK, so you may find personal help close by as well as thru the forums!

I'd personally recommend you think of starting with the 4x5 film size rather than 8x10 (er...make that 5x4 and 10x8 in the UK!) because of the much greater availability of equipment, accessories, lenses, and film available in the smaller size; will make assembly of a good rig a great deal easier and much less expensive, to say nothing of the film and processing costs. A great many folks love the larger size, but it is much more expensive to work with and the gear is much heavier to tote around. Have fun, and shoot lots of film...best way to learn!