Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: big ND filters for window filtration?

hacker extraordinaire

big ND filters for window filtration?

taking pictures indoors typically results in the windows being blown out squares of white. If you expose for the outdoor scene, then the interior is too dark. This makes it difficult to get pictures of say, the inside of a scenic cabin showing the nice view out the picture window. Photoshop aside, why couldn't you use tinted film to knock a handful of stops off the light coming the window? In black-and-white land, you wouldn't even need real ND. Anyone ever done this? What did you use?

Re: big ND filters for window filtration?

yup. we use it all the time (on rolls) in the motion picture industry. usually a minimum of nd6 but up to nd1.2 also. You can double up the lighter stuff but bubbles or reflections can be problematic. ND is used more so in video world where the limited latitude and lack of big lights would result in underexposed interiors if you exposed for the exterior. keep in mind that having the exterior a little overexposed is what are eyes have become use to.

Take two images. One exposed for interior and one for exterior and overlay in printing.
    Or use a two bath or stand development which should give highly compensated development if range is not too extreme.

Strobes?

A nice wall bounce can fill nicely.

There are two times in the day when the light outside is the same intensity as a normally lit room. I try for the dawn shoot if possible. If it fails there is the evening shoot to fall back on.

The alternatives, over-lighting the interior with a huge flash set-up or ND-ing the windows both cost money.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

hacker extraordinaire

Strobes?

A nice wall bounce can fill nicely.
    The article I was reading suggested exposing for the exterior and lighting the interior with elaborate strobe use. Since my strobe-fu is weak, it sounded like NDing the windows would be a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The article I was reading suggested exposing for the exterior and lighting the interior with elaborate strobe use. Since my strobe-fu is weak, it sounded like NDing the windows would be a lot easier.
    When you ND the windows, how much do you think it will reduce the light in the room by?

This is where you get your needs:
    http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.asp

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Percepts makes a great point NDing the windows is going to darken the interior which doesn't fix your problem. This may in fact, force an aperture setting that compromises your DOF needs.

Strobes (or hot lights) actually fix the problem. Choosing the time of day can help too, say dusk or dawn.

"Elaborate" is an assumption because an article in a mag has no clue about the specific context you are shooting in.

Planning, bouncing, a tripod, and practice are the keys.