Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How fast a 90mm should I start with?

How fast a 90mm should I start with?

Josh,

Comparisons or claims of sharpness of one lens over another are technical navel gazing. Any one lens could be either a gem or at the outer limits of the acceptable limits of production testing.

The main issue, particularly for the architectural photographer is image circle. If the SA XL 90mm will fit your camera, and if you can afford it, then that's the way to go. Having said that I have recently changed from the SA XL 90mm to the Rodenstock 1:4.5 90mm because the former would not fit my Linhof MT 2000 and I'd flogged my Sinar.

The Rodenstock has proved to be an absolute cracker!

A 15 person group portrait of a choir and clergy framed loosely in the sanctuary of an old stone church showed eye-lashes and threads in the embroidery of the vestments on both E100S and T-Max 400.

Buy right and you'll only buy once.

Walter Glover

For architectural work I'd go with the 5.6 . The f:8 on my camera makes a nightmare to focus with. In addition for architecture you need far more coverage than that of a SA 90/8 .

Update: I snagged a 90/4.5 Grandagon (non-N) on eBay for under $500. I think I got the best of all possible worlds, eh?

Thanks for all your help! Man, I love this place.

hmmm - i use a nikkor sw90 f/8 - image circle is 235mm. the image circle on the f/5.6 version is also 235mm. other makers do offer a bit larger image circle on the faster version of the 90mm lens, but at a very high additional cost, and of course the faster lenses are much larger and bulkier. i went with the f8 version largely because of the last two reasons. with a bright screen coupled with a fresnel, i dont have any problems - the nikkor is an excellent lens.

Congratulations Josh,

You find that some relationships are made in heaven - You and your Garndagon is one such.. Good luck and happy snapping!

Walter