Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45A vs Zone VI/Wista

Richard Brown

Re: Toyo 45A vs Zone VI/Wista

I got my 45A over 23 years ago and it has travelled through italy, mexico, guatemala and around north america.... best basic camera and tough! Still use it but tried a calumet woodfield which wasn't too bad... a friend has a tachihara which is pretty nice and i now have an ebony 45S which is a work of art and nice to use as well. Use a linhof kardan bi monorail sometimes and have a full range of nikkor glass. But if i had one camera and lens to keep, it would be the toyo 45A with a nikon 135 f5.6 super sharp lens. or maybe the 180mm..... but i really like that 90mm... rats, too many choices and toys..
    give a call to midwest photo .. jim andracki will take care of you and great guy to deal with. I would sell you mind but want my ashes crammed inside and buried!
    Happy Holidays, .....Richard in the Rockies

Dave Karp

Another good place to look for used equipment is Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com). Use the website, but always call and ask for Jim Andracki. There may be stuff in house but not on the web. He also gives good advice.

Always check KEH, Adorama and B&H's used equipment web sites before bidding on anything on e-bay. Most of the time I find the same or better pricing on those sites than what the ebay bidding ends up being. I would pay a bit of a premium over ebay to buy from those three known, with return policy stores. However, many times you'll find cheaper prices there than on ebay. You need to check all three since one is not always the cheapest for all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brody View Post
    I'd strongly recommend starting with one lens, something reasonably usable, eg something between 150 and 210, the 180 would be fine, and sticking with that until you've figured out 4x5 photography. While switching lenses is physically easy, it's not the same as switching lenses on a small or medium format camera. When you are working with tilts and shifts, it's a bit more involved. I had only one lens with my Toyo 45A (with a distinctly non-rotating back, purchased in 1982), for a couple of years. I learned a lot with that 210 Fuji, and I still have it and use it. Arguing between brands of plasmats is a bit silly in my opinion. Almost any modern plasmat from Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon or Fuji is far above my photographic skills and will likely serve you well for years. The suggestion of a 180 seems reasonable though the space between a 180 and a 90 is a bit much. If you go that way, there's always a 135 or even 150. Or you could go wider with a 72 or 75, a 110XL, or 135/150 and 210. There are lots of right answers to these questions depending on what's available and price.

Good luck.

Eric

Thanks Eric - my search continues!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by richard brown View Post
    I would sell you mind but want my ashes crammed inside and buried!
    Happy Holidays, .....Richard in the Rockies

Now THAT's the idea!!!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ndavid813 View Post
    Always check KEH, Adorama and B&H's used equipment web sites before bidding on anything on e-bay. Most of the time I find the same or better pricing on those sites than what the ebay bidding ends up being. I would pay a bit of a premium over ebay to buy from those three known, with return policy stores. However, many times you'll find cheaper prices there than on ebay. You need to check all three since one is not always the cheapest for all things.
    No argument there...thanks! I'm searching all as I type this.

Jay

Ok - let me throw one more into the mix; the Toyo 45CF vs 45A. Similarly priced used.

I know the CF has no rear movements. Other than that, any issues? should I avoid it?

Thanks,

Jay

I'd recommend the Toyo 45AX over the 45A or CF. IThe AX is lighter than the 45a and more robust/flexible than the CF. All you lose with the AX versus 45a is the rotating back which can be turned to any position.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Jay, if you do a search on this forum you will find mixed reviews of the CF model. I have the AX, and have handled the CF. Only if weight were a major consideration would I consider the CF. It lacks the rear movements, as you note, and is not as well constructed as the A models.

As to lenses already mentioned, my most used are a 150mm and a 210mm. The 180mm would be a good choice for a single lens, and then perhaps a 125mm.

Have fun, happy holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Jay, if you do a search on this forum you will find mixed reviews of the CF model. I have the AX, and have handled the CF. Only if weight were a major consideration would I consider the CF. It lacks the rear movements, as you note, and is not as well constructed as the A models.

As to lenses already mentioned, my most used are a 150mm and a 210mm. The 180mm would be a good choice for a single lens, and then perhaps a 125mm.

Have fun, happy holidays!
    Thanks Peter and Merg. I wasn't really sure of the CF and was interested in the group's consensus. As to later models, I run into a budgetary issue. I will continue to search and will expand my view to include some later models.

Merry Happy Ho-HO to all!

Jay