Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji discontinuing Quickloads

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Fuji discontinuing Quickloads

Up to a couple of years ago I used QL's exclusively - Acros, Velvia, Provia - but then switched to conventional holders to save weight and bulk on LD backpacking trips. Carrying 100 or even 200 sheets of film is nothing. Try that with QL's.

IMO the holders hold the film flatter, don't have something protruding to catch the wind and set-up vibrations, seem to slide in the camera back like silk, and give a more satisfying "photographic experience." It's kind of neat, I think, pulling the dark slide, tripping the shutter, and replacing the dark slide - just like it was done back in...1850.

If anyone is interested in QL holders, I have two that I will sell: A mint (used once - I kept it unused for 'back-up' which was never needed as the Kodak holder will continue to work flawlessly for a lifetime) Fuji in original box, and a Kodak in very good condition which I used for a few years. PM me if you're interested in purchasing.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Thomas - I haven't had any sharpness issues with Quickload. But that's because I
    customized a 545 back and tested it. Never could get the Fuji or Kodak holders to keep
    film flat across the whole plane. I don't shoot lots of film - in fact once I went out for ten days on very steep terrain with about 90 lbs and only took two or three shots -
    but they were exactly what I was after (in fact, it took three such trips to the same
    spot to get the lighting right!). But usually I'll take about a dozen shot each of color
    and b&w. When I retire, I should have more time for longer trips, but will no doubt also
    have less energy.

Great...and I just bought a holder about a year and a half ago. Well....at least they're still making 4x5 film!

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    I just weighed them, and for all practical purposes, they weigh the same: 3 holders = 1 pound, 2 ounces; Grafmatic weighs 1 pound, 1.75 ounces.
    So you do save some weight with the Grafmatics
    You also save space, the Grafmatics occupy half the space of three regular holders.

Japan Exposures

Has anyone seen any announcement apart from the BJP article? I cannot find anything 'official' on this, Fujifilm Japan or otherwise. It's not April 1st today, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    Has anyone seen any announcement apart from the BJP article? I cannot find anything 'official' on this, Fujifilm Japan or otherwise. It's not April 1st today, is it?
    Dirk,

This is part of the problem with Fuji- they seem to never say anything "officially" (tho the original report was from the BJP, a respected publication, and quoted a Fuji spokesman by name and printed what sure looks like a press release from a named person at Fuji UK).

In terms of a pattern of "communicating", have we seen anything about Acros QLs being discontinued in the world ex-Japan (and maybe there too, for all we know, just using up old stock)? Re. Japan, I know film is still very big there, but I can't believe the Japanese market alone for Acros QLs can sustain production after shutting off the rest of the world. The Acros QL "news" emerged as vendor after vendor gradually posted "no longer available" or "discontinued", and all of a sudden it became clear there would be no more. No announcement from Fuji that I ever found, though looking at their US website shows no listing for Acros QLs, so I guess we can infer it's been discontinued.

If this is not correct, why doesn't Fuji just say it is not? If someone mis-states something about an HP Marketing product, Bob is quickly posting something. Maybe Fuji should hire Bob at a princely salary and we'd get some info.

Rick

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The problem for someone like me is how to keep doing extended backpack trips with the view camera as I start slowing down a bit due to age. Quickloads helped because
    they were the lightest and most convenient option. My Harrison tent and Mido holders
    add only a pound, but I'm trying to find ways to shed pounds so I can move faster.
    Guess I hire a porter (or find a sucker to help with the load). I'm still comfortable with
    at least 75lbs in the mtns, but will that be the case when I'm 65 or 70? I sure hope I
    don't have to turn to med format, because it just doesn't have the "edge" I like.
    Spend some time on the rower. That'll build up those back muscles.

I just returned from my first big LF trip. A few days in Yosemite during which I shot about 40 sheets of QL. It's disappointing that they're cutting QL as I prefer it to darkslides. Time to invest in a changing tent I guess.

Mind you - QL is not flawless. My last frame in Yosemite this week would have been a Provia 100 shot of the Tunnel View sunset. It was freezing cold and as I slid the QL out of the holder the card somehow managed to detach itself from the clip and the film was exposed to the light and the shot lost. Gutted.

In any case, I wish they'd keep QL. I'd keep buying it.

So the only reason to keep those Polaroid 545 holders is finally gone too ... geez louise ...

No indications of it being gone from stores just yet... I have a 5 box QL order from Adorama arriving early next week. But both Pro 160s and Astia that are all I use in QL now also come in sheet form. It's the dust issue, mostly, not just the convenience. It also is nicer to fly with and have hand inspected at airports instead of worrying about loose film boxes being opened.
    But if both go away in QL, and even standard sheets, they'll probably be available in 120 for some time yet. (Ektar 100 in 120 is also something of a game changer here.)