Page 91 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

45-57-617

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Thank you.

I'm feeling very lucky to get images sometimes ! I see something wrong in the top right corner now. Some sort of chemical issue like it hasn't had developer in the very corner of the sheet ? It reminds me of a fluid wash / drainage thing more than a light leak.

Cheers,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    Thank you.

I'm feeling very lucky to get images sometimes ! I see something wrong in the top right corner now. Some sort of chemical issue like it hasn't had developer in the very corner of the sheet ? It reminds me of a fluid wash / drainage thing more than a light leak.

Cheers,

Steve
    It looks more like a very tiny light leak either from the film holder or the bellows.

45-57-617

Hmmm... this was before I filed notches in my film holders recently so I don't know which one it would be...

Espresso Cups, March 2015
    Sinar P, 10 3/4 inch Apochromat Artar
    5x7 HP5+, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 15-Apr-2018 at 09:09.

Stupid question, what is giving the porcelain (or similar) the milky quality in your photos Ken?
    The lens, the developing, lens movements, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    Stupid question, what is giving the porcelain (or similar) the milky quality in your photos Ken?
    The lens, the developing, lens movements, etc?
    It's a very good question. The milky quality comes from lighting, exposure, development, scanning, editing, composition, choice of lens, focal length and aperture...all those things.

There's also an element of what we might call human visual perception at work, where adjacent tones affect one another. The same item will appear dark when placed next to a white item, and light next when placed next to a dark item. We can use this to our advantage (if we like that sort of thing) much as painters combine adjacent colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It's a very good question. The milky quality comes from lighting, exposure, development, scanning, editing, composition, choice of lens, focal length and aperture...all those things.

There's also an element of what we might call human visual perception at work, where adjacent tones affect one another. The same item will appear dark when placed next to a white item, and light next when placed next to a dark item. We can use this to our advantage (if we like that sort of thing) much as painters combine adjacent colors.
    Wow, very fascinating. Thank you. Oh and wonderful photo...never complimented it!

I suspected it might be a combination of everything, just wasn't sure if particular things had more influence. In the 1000s of photographs I have taken never had a photo come out with this sort of perception...and noticed it in a lot of your recent macro/close-up work.

Learning is so great. I just learned about Scheimpflug and that amazed me. The idea that I will be able to manipulate the image plane's DOF is just boggling coming from someone shooting 35mm and 120 for 5+ years now.

Thanks again. Sorry for no photo contributions, yet...although will in the future (4x5 topics though).

Out with Deardorff in the smooth light. Was after blooming trees but most are frost-burned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9278.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	130610
    Lake Road.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post

Learning is so great. I just learned about Scheimpflug...
    I think you will find this forum to be one of the better ones for learning about photography in general, not just 'large format'. I tried a couple of other forums which seemed to be all about gear, buying the latest whatever for ungodly amounts of money. But here, we just post our pics and discuss how we made them. I've seen a huge improvement in my own photography since I started hanging out here; I cannot say the same for the other forum I tried before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I think you will find this forum to be one of the better ones for learning about photography in general, not just 'large format'. I tried a couple of other forums which seemed to be all about gear, buying the latest whatever for ungodly amounts of money. But here, we just post our pics and discuss how we made them. I've seen a huge improvement in my own photography since I started hanging out here; I cannot say the same for the other forum I tried before this one.
    Wow. I love to hear that. It seems like a very nice bunch of people, many of which have an endless amount of knowledge and experience. I mainly have been sitting back and reading/watching in my time here so far. Only have a few more "pieces" left to kit and my kit is ready to start shooting. I get my first batch of 4x5 film in tomorrow.