Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to clean LF glass?

Re: How to clean LF glass?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon13 View Post
    Yes right and that's why her prints sell for 40k-50k a piece. I doubt she really wastes her time geeking out about having a perfectly clean lens. Anyway my camera repair guy worked in an optical lab for most of his life making fancy really big scientific shit like telescopes and he only uses Kimtech Kimwipes (non scratch chemical wipe tissues) and ROR spray(Residual Oil Remover) so that's what I use and it's what they also sell at the local photo supply here in Portland so that's what I use. Whether the lens is from 1869 or 1999. Also I try to clean as little as possible. Once when I buy the lens and hopefully years later and only if I have to. Cheers.
    I saw a video she made where she said that she liked old lenses with imperfections. The imperfections give the lenses more character or something like that. Her lenses may look rough but she sure creates wonderful images with them!

Just speaking from my experience, ROR is very good. I used it for years, but I now prefer Purosol: http://www.edmundoptics.com/lab-prod...-cleaner/2520/.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I blow with a Giottos rocket & then use a LenPen (and on my filters, a LensPen FilterKlear). They use activated charcoal, as mentioned in a previous post, and include a soft brush at the other end. My only gripe is there's not cap for the brush, so keeping it from contamination is problematic.

I also keep a Photographic Solutions cleaning kit handy as it comes with disposable lens wipes & cleaning solution.

In 99% of cases, the dust and dirt on your lens has zero affect on your images (although the acid in fingerprints may etch the coating or glass, as has also been noted above). But neither do "cleaning marks" (light scratches). So don't get too obsessed about it.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design