Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

Smile Re: Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

Actually Barry, with my recent divorce, I do have more space, but it is being used as plastic bin storage (I have a kitten who wants to eat paper and plastic) so I can get more space in other rooms. I would like to move into a house at some point, but haven't figured out yet how that will occur.

Re: Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

I was looking at the same camera but I acted too slow

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Congrats! We are a small fraternity these days.........people crazy enough to own one of these. Did you get the 11X14 back with it? The Ilexpo's are very simple and straight forward. Take the tin cover off the back and start cleaning. Make sure you've got a good seal on the supply hose, and get a new bulb at Harbor Freight. They sell them for concrete workers that need to blow small areas clean. Now when that 24" Eidoscop comes your way, you'll be set.
    Thanks Jim. I guess you're partly responsible because the small Petzvals lead to medium Petzvals, the medium ones lead to big ones--and then you need studio camera to mount 'em. Unfortunately no 11x14 or 8x10 back. I have a spare 8x10 back that can be easily modified, but I really want an 11x14 back. I may try building one if I can get my hands on some spare parts. I'll try popping open the Ilexpo and see if it won't clean up, but I think some of the parts may be mis-positioned or missing.

I plan to teach workshops using the camera and people will be able to rent studio time with it--if I can find anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    I was looking at the same camera but I acted too slow
    No worries, there are more studio cameras than potential users out there. Eddie always has them and there are at least 3-4 on eBay that are unsold. Make somebody an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post

I see no problem with this layout.

awesome! great find. i have an old beat up one and a no. 2 stand that needs some wheels etc etc. i wish i could find one as nice as yours. i want a master stand like you have.

i, like jason have the monster DD 1114 with that HUGE stand....a great set up but i like the looks of the century ones.....

i know a guy that has an 11x14 studio camera with a 12x12 inch front lens board. i have been working him for years now. one day i will have it. then i can put some serious glass on the front of it.

enjoy. i just sold the one out of my living room.....an offer i could not refuse. now the ansco is inside....boy do i hate the battle ship gray....

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

where is the film holder rack?!@?!?!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have one , it's a 11x14 and I have one 8x10 back .

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Ahhh... beauty and practicality!

I'd suggest taking all the metal parts off and repainting them in the original black. I did that to my old rusty Semi-Centennial Stand, and it looked so much nicer afterwards. Or you could opt for something flashier, say an antique gold-leaf. And maybe change out the felt bed for a leopard-skin print...

Okay, time for someone to start a new thread: "Pimp My Camera Stand".
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Eddie-- You must be the only person in the world that feels a 9" or 10" lens board is too small. Let me know when you find that Petzval with an 11" flange. The Deardorff sounds like a monster with that stand. Oh yes, I removed the film holder racks for transport--they'll go back on when the camera gets to my studio.

Mark-- The gold leaf sounds pretty good. Do you think the castings were originally painted black. The paint job sure looks original on my stand. Do you know the differences between the Semi-Centennial stands and the Master Studio Stand? I know the Master Studio Stand came later--maybe after Kodak spun off Folmer-Graflex.