Thread: Recommended Reading on LF/View Cameras?

Recommended Reading on LF/View Cameras?

I've just finished my undergraduate education, but am still on campus for my job, and have access to the wonderful collection of photography-related books in the school's library. I picked up an older edition of Leslie Strobel's "View Camera Technique" this afternoon and am beginning to read through it (seems excellent), but wondering if there is anything else considered "canon" or that would be a good supplement to the material.

Re: Recommended Reading on LF/View Cameras?

try these references
    which you will find elsewhere on this site

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/general.html
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Stobel is the canonical book on the subject. Everything else is watered down or comes up short by comparison.

Claes Uhnér

Indeed, View camera technique is the best book I’ve read on the subject of, eh… view camera technique.

I can also recommend Beyond the zone system by Phil Davis.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Would you all consider the 7th edition worth it over the 6th? Seems like a book that would be worthwhile to own.

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Would you all consider the 7th edition worth it over the 6th? Seems like a book that would be worthwhile to own.
    I have the first, third and fifth editions...the actual text changes very little from edition to edition. The only real differences are in quality of the reproductions and the layout. So, in a nut shell, no. I don't think that the latest edition is worth the extra expense....

However, yeah! The book is definitely a must have. I'm currently looking for a decent copy of the fourth and sixth editions.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I have the first, third and fifth editions...the actual text changes very little from edition to edition. The only real differences are in quality of the reproductions and the layout. So, in a nut shell, no. I don't think that the latest edition is worth the extra expense....

However, yeah! The book is definitely a must have. I'm currently looking for a decent copy of the fourth and sixth editions.
    The blurb on the 7th edition (1999) does mention new information on digital backs, although given that ten years old I imagine some of that info is quite dated. I think I'll look for an older one and save that couple of Hamiltons for sheet film

How about Jack Dykinga's book on Large Format Nature Photography. That book has a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    How about Jack Dykinga's book on Large Format Nature Photography. That book has a good reputation.
    Dykinga is interesting. It is more about how Jack does what he does and with what gear. It is really about Jack Dykinga and not really so much about LF photography in general. Like I said, it is an interesting read but it is completely different from Strobel.

Even Ansel Adams' "The Camera" may serve as a good introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Dykinga is interesting. It is more about how Jack does what he does and with what gear. It is really about Jack Dykinga and not really so much about LF photography in general. Like I said, it is an interesting read but it is completely different from Strobel.

Even Ansel Adams' "The Camera" may serve as a good introduction.
    The library has the Dykinga book as well, I'm planning on going through it afterwards, along with "The Camera" to round out my LF reading list.

Edit: Hoping my new Alumni Association membership (I feel old now!) goes through by tomorrow afternoon so that I can bring something home, rather than just sitting in the library with them.