Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sinar electronic shutter question

Re: sinar electronic shutter question

I don't like 'climbing on the back' of threads started by others but I think another pair of shutter blades would fix my knackered electronic Sinar shutter, so if anyone has a dead one where the blades are ok...Please send me a PM.

If something is electronically timed from 1/500th-80 seconds, servo driven diaphram control, auto open/close seems too good to be true..........It usually is

Cheers Dave

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    The only content of a possible service manual would have been: Send it to Sinar Switzerland. End of service manual. Please don't quote me on that. (It's possible that there was a US agency which were trained to do an overhaul, but at least the above is true for the european market.)

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    You can find the service manual for the mechanical Sinar shutter but I have never been able to find one for the electronic model

Cheers Dave
    i found one recently-it had both accumulators, three different mechanicals, module 2, expolux monitor, both electric shutters, etc.
    basically all the shutters and associated tech.
    ill try to find a link or at least its name

Quote Originally Posted by erie patsellis View Post
    I guess your needs are different than mine, I prefer cost effective and reliable over supposed "superior" electronic solutions that are 2-5x the price. If I'm on location, I can't just tell a client that we'll reschedule in a month or so when I get the shutter repaired. I always bring backup lens boards with shutters mounted, regardless of how confident I am that my mechanical shutter won't fail (and so far, never has)
    there's my problem, and why i am only searching used- i work as an art photographer, not a paid person.
    so any money is from selling pics
    what little money there is lol.
    ah well, it is starving artist for a reason, but i'm happy with what i do and i wouldnt want it any other way.
    mainly stuff like still life, architecture, landscape, etc.

"ill try to find a link or at least its name"

That would be appreciated Discoman.

I've found everything but the electronic one

Cheers Dave

found the file on my computer, its 130 pages and called Shutters.pdf
    i think a google search for sinar shutter repair found it
    also, butkus.org might have it, they have a bunch of old camera manuals.
    is there a way i can post a document from my computer to the forum as a download?

well, the file upload isn't working at the moment, i've sent a message to an admin.
    srry about this
    its called Shutters.pdf
    i did not rename it, that's how it was.

its also over 9000 kilobytes, so that's a nvm on uploading.
    the best i can try to do is e-mail it to anyone interested, i can attach a couple megabytes to an e-mail.
    send an e-mail to me using this address if interested
    mesas-48490@mypacks.net
    it may take me a while to get back to you, i don't always check my anon addresses. don't worry, e-mail me if you want it and i will try to get it to you asap.

I'm getting one of the mechanical shutters as well, but i do want the additional time options that the electronic ones offer.
    please help?
    This does'nt make sense to me!
    For this reason I would not go this route, if you want be cheap forgett about the electronic one.
    If you need shorter times buy 1 or 2 lenses with shutter and anyway a second Copal/ Sinar shutter as spare has to be with you!
    With this you on the long run much cheaper then with the electronic one!

Just my 2cts. Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    If something is electronically timed from 1/500th-80 seconds, servo driven diaphram control, auto open/close seems too good to be true..........It usually is

Cheers Dave
    Well, the Copal has 1/60th-8 sec, aperture control and auto open/close, so these features are indeed quite common in the Sinar world.
    But OK, the electronic shutters can set the time in 1/3 increments. I.e. 2 intermediate steps beween each full stop. What was more interesting was the auto exposure compensation when doing long exposures, i.e. reciprocity factors for a number of films already pre-set. That plus the realtive ease of calculating the correct exposure in mixed light conditions (e.g. a flash lit interior with a sunlit exterior outside the window). All of this made it worthwhile for the busy professional. Just a pity that the quality of the electronics of the 80s and 90s wasn't up to par.
    Knowing what I know now, I am content with the Copal shutter and a Booster 1 with a Minolta meter. I get just about the same features with just a little bit more effort. The bonus reads "reliability".
    (I just realized that these are features which could be found in almost any decent 35mm camera from the 90s, not to mention digi... but again, they don't get the pleasure of looking at e.g. a perfectly exposed 8x10" chrome.)

//Björn