Page 23 of 311 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: post your urban landscapes

Re: post your urban landscapes

Funny, I couldn't see 13 towers for the longest time, but when I finally found the missing ones, I ended up with 17! Neat shot somehow. Not very traditional.
    Website - Linhof Technika, Schneider 90/5.6 Super-Angulon, 210/5.6 APO-Symmar

My fiancé makes watertower sculptures, and anytime we show them in New York, we get the same question: "oh, are you guys from Brooklyn?"

John, can you help me understand this? There seem to be just as many watertowers in Manhattan as Brooklyn. Not to mention that there are plenty in Chicago and just about any other midwest or east coast city. It's always puzzled me why so many New Yorkers single out one of their boroughs as the most watertower-y.

Did someone say New York water towers?

Just started processing my New York shots from a trip this summer. This is just a low-res prescan, but I won't have much of a chance to work on it for awhile, so I can't resist showing it now.

Incidentally, this makes the first formal 4x5 film shot I've shown here.

Oh, and it's upside down because I'm left-handed and this was taken handheld with a Speed Graphic (135 Optar on Portra 400NC).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    NICE!! I love the 13 water towers. What film did you use?
    Thanks a bunch Richard!

I put the gear and film below the image. Provia 100F.

Quote Originally Posted by CarstenW View Post
    Funny, I couldn't see 13 towers for the longest time, but when I finally found the missing ones, I ended up with 17! Neat shot somehow. Not very traditional.
    Thanks Carsten!

I'm cheating a little bit because I am looking at the full size scan (which as sized now would print at 24x30) and there are 21 water towers in (or partially in) the shot. I actually had not counted myself before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    My fiancé makes watertower sculptures, and anytime we show them in New York, we get the same question: "oh, are you guys from Brooklyn?"

John, can you help me understand this? There seem to be just as many watertowers in Manhattan as Brooklyn. Not to mention that there are plenty in Chicago and just about any other midwest or east coast city. It's always puzzled me why so many New Yorkers single out one of their boroughs as the most watertower-y.
    Ben, those sculptures are great! I really like all those ceramic pieces... you might be tempting me to spend more money at a time of year when I shouldn't be.

As far as water towers go, there is a city ordinance dating from the 1800's that makes water towers mandatory for buildings of more than six stories. Two companies make them, one in Manhattan and the other in Brooklyn. Perhaps because of the locale of the second builder people associate water towers with Brooklyn? Don't know.

I have no facts to back this up, but due to the stated law and my guess that Manhattan is more populated with tall buildings on average, I would be willing to wager that Manhattan trumps Brooklyn in water towers per square mile (if not in total).

My favorite "water tower" in New York is the Rachel Whiteread sculpture on top of the MOMA.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaman View Post
    Did someone say New York water towers?
    Nice view! Was this from a public building where I could not set up a tripod I am assuming? Now that you've been here with LF in hand, I'm sure you can see why a rooftop project is such a blast to undertake, although very difficult in getting locations.

Went shooting recently.
    I quite liked the setting. I'm thinking about going back and shooting some more in that neighborhood.

Linhof Technikardan S 4x5
    150mm
    E100VS

Torino, Italy

5X7 - 180 Nikkor

Lots of wonderful images in this thread. This is my second post to this forum after years of hanging around and finally buying a camera from another member last month. Homes above the Castro District, San Francisco. Deardorff 5X7 w/ 4X5 back. 14 in. Red Dot Artar. FP4, HC110.