Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shenhao but which one?

Shenhao but which one?

Hi,
    I am considering purchasing a Shenhao 4x5 as part of my foray into L.F. but I am confused as to the differences between the two 4x5 models, those being the HZX45-llA, and the TZ45-llb. Is there a difference worth paying for? The TZ45-llb is 300 gram lighter which I hope has no sacrifice in rigidity? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Re: Shenhao but which one?

I've seen both, and the IIa seems more ruggedly built to me, has more bellows and a wider array of movements with both base and center tilt in front and back.

Both of these are finely crafted cameras, and seem to have gotten labeled as "starter" cameras, which just rankles me. They have everything that I might look for in a wooden field camera, if I were in the market for one.

Mark,

I understand you arrested your brand choice already, but why not Chamonix, or Toyo field, or Wista Field, or Ebony, or even Canham? Just for me to be sure you do choose wisely after having looked at the entire offering today.

All the best,

Quote Originally Posted by gregvds View Post
    Mark,

I understand you arrested your brand choice already, but why not Chamonix, or Toyo field, or Wista Field, or Ebony, or even Canham? Just for me to be sure you do choose wisely after having looked at the entire offering today.

All the best,
    While I am certainly open to suggestions, the Shenhao is within my budget. I believe my budget would have to more than double to accommodate some of the cameras you have mentioned, mind you I am looking at new prices but could be tempted by a nice second hand package.

Cheers, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Richardson View Post
    ...the two 4x5 models, those being the HZX45-llA, and the TZ45-llb.
    Don't forget the TFC-45 (its a kinda faux-ebony-sw45) and the PTB-45 (a faux-chamonix).
    Last edited by dave_whatever; 14-Dec-2009 at 08:37. Reason: messed up the bb code...twice

Chamonix is within your grasp, as well as Wista or Toyo on eBay.

All the best,

Mark,
    The weight savings on the IIB seems to be done through slightly restricting the range of the bellows. I am sure that there are other things. One more thing to consider is that the IIB does not seem to have sold that well. I seldom see them for resale and Badger generally does not have them in stock. This may be a consideration. I noticed that there is now a PTB model that appears to be based on a Phillips design rather than the clam shell. Around the same price as the IIA.
    Ric
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images

jadphoto

I use the HZX 45IIa, I have students with the other Shen Haos and also a Chamonix. I'm glad I bought the 45IIa. A smidgen heavier but more movements and plenty solid.

But then again, they all love theirs too.

Bought mine from Badger by the way.

Joe D.

I second Joseph Dickerson comments. I have a IIA and have used it for 3 years. Its a solid camera and has controls are large easy to use and build quality is superior. I feel the controls make Shen Hao superior to the Ebony Zone V. I have heard that the Toyo controls can be stripped and need replacement. For the cost it can not be beat. It is comparable to my Cambo View camera in terms of movements. Another point VS the Chamonix. Shen Hao has stocking distribution world wide and is available today as opposed to ordering and waiting for delivery. I rate Shen Hao as a better better quality for less money that any other camera on the market. In the USA you almost never see these come up for sale on the used market. A Minor point the IIA is a true box camera and with lens removed does fold into its own wooden box. The Chamonix and the Shen Hao PTB/TCF do not fold into their self contained box for protection.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Richardson View Post
    While I am certainly open to suggestions, the Shenhao is within my budget. I believe my budget would have to more than double to accommodate some of the cameras you have mentioned, mind you I am looking at new prices but could be tempted by a nice second hand package.

Cheers, Mark
    The Shen Hao is a fine camera. Unless some other brand has a feature that you really think you need I'd stick with your original decision and not worry about buying a more expensive brand second hand. Most of the cameras mentioned by others here cost way more than the Shen and have little or nothing more to offer. Some have less.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.