I bought my Cezanne for $900, with another $900 or so in costs to go pick it up, and another $100 for a G4 with maxed out ram to run it. Like Bob, I've made about 100 scans with it, mostly bw negatives, and the quality is excellent. So that means so far I've spent $20 per scan plus the time taken to scan the film. If something were to go wrong with the scanner, though, costs would escalate quickly. Buying a scanner like this is a gamble.

One thing to remember about the Cezanne, while it's an x-y positioning scanner with zoom and autofocus capabilities, it does not stitch negative or positive scans together. Thus, with 8x10 film, the 8000 element ccd will give a true 1100 spi in the direction from the front of the scanner to the back. From left to right, on the other hand, it is capable of about 6000 spi according to the Seybold report. (I hope I have the name of the report correct.) Thus, the true resolution of the scanner is a complex question. You could of course scan in strips and stitch them together if you need more real information, at the cost of added time.

IME wet-mounting on a Cezanne does not improve scan quality, which is a good thing, as not having to wet mount saves time, mess, and cost.