Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Sinar" name on Symmar lens

"Sinar" name on Symmar lens

So I picked up a beautiful vintage 150/265mm convertible Symmar yesterday. It's got the name Sinar in green on the info ring. Anyone out there that can tell my the significance? I'm guessing that this was made specifically to be marketed with the Sinar system, but I've never encountered this before.

Thanks for the help.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: "Sinar" name on Symmar lens

Supposedly Sinar (and Linhof) bought testing equipment and selected the better Schneider and Rodenstock lenses for their own premium-priced brand. They're worth a little more for resale. They're sort of the opposite of Calumet Caltars, which supposedly were the rejects ;-)

I've owned all of them and I never noticed a difference but I never tested them critically. My assumption is that the quality control of Schneider and Rodenstock is pretty darn excellent, at least since the 1980s, so it is hard to get a dog.

I've always ASSUMED that what Frank said is the reason for Sinar engraving their name on a lens, because it makes sense. If you really want to be certain, email the U.S. Distributor and see what they say.

http://www.sinarbron.com/sinar.php

Thanks guys. Something new every day. Nice to know I got a seriously good deal on this beauty.

Frank: Just wanted to say I'm a big fan. Wonderful and fascinating work.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    They're sort of the opposite of Calumet Caltars, which supposedly were the rejects ;-)
    I'm wondering who supposedly rejected the lenses that ended up as Caltars? Rodenstock or Linhof/Sinar?

Thanks.

That was a joke, I doubt Caltars were the rejects. They may have been in the bottom 50% of the their class, 900 on their SATs.

I've got a 150mm Symmar and 65mm SA which are both sinar select. To be honest I bet for most users shooting at f/16-32 the difference between a sinar or linhof select and a regular lens is subtle at best, if not non-existant. You've got to remember that Sinar of Linhof will have tested your lens maybe 50 years ago, and they've got no control on what might have happened in the interim, i.e. knocks, drops, fungus, lens out of alignment etc. Overall condition is probably more important, although you're probably sure of a slightly higher sale price when you come to sell the lens on.

Frank,

I figured you might be blowing a bit of smoke on the Caltars. I've got a 210mm and a 90mm, both big glass Caltar II's that knock me out on their quality. I actually bought this Symmar with the idea of selling it, but it sure looks nice on my Super Graphic, so who knows. I keep switching that with the 10" Veritar that came in the same deal and wondering which do I shoot first this weekend and why do I need two Veritars.

Maybe I'll build a stereo soft focus portrait camera. (Not really!!!!)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    That was a joke, I doubt Caltars were the rejects.
    Ha ha... I was laughing at you while reading that post.

Unfortunately that guess (assumption?) has been presented as fact often enough on the internet that people actually believe it and repeat it. I'm not complaining, though, since it helps keep that line of lens affordable... so those of us who aren't sticklers for specs end up with great lenses at affordable prices.

As I recall from experts, neither Sinar nor Linhof actually did their own testing. They did request a specific testing regime from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer certified that the lenses met the requirements of Sinar and Linhof. There is nothing to suggest that their normal run of lenses did not also meet those requirements.

Calumet-branded lenses are just out of the normal run of lenses from that manufacturer.

Thus, every likelihood is that they all meet the same standards. That does not mean they are all equal. Some will be more excellent than others, but the more excellent ones are as likely to be Calumet-branded lenses as Sinar.

What Calumet did do is contract with manufacturers for cheaper lens designs that they could offer at lower price points, while Sinar and Linhof always contracted for the best lenses available at the time to offer at higher price points. So, the Caltar Type Y is a Rodenstock Ysaron--a tessar design--while a Sinaron would have been a Rodenstock APO-Sironar-N--a more expensive and faster plasmat design. But there are plenty of Caltars that are also Sironars, and as excellent as the contemporary Sinarons.

The Symmar Convertible was the original modern plasmat in large production, and was the best lens of its type available in its day. They are still excellent, but they have been surpassed by later designs, including the Symmar-S, and so on.

Rick "who would much rather specify a manufacturer's testing standards than do his own testing" Denney