Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-X or T-Max.

Tri-X or T-Max.

Hello- Thanks for all of your help around here guiding me through my first steps through the woods of large format . I was wondering if Tri-X 320 or either of the T-Max films are better all purpose 4X5 films. I have read that Tri-X 320 can be very touchy when shooting 120. I love the Tri-X 400 for most applications so I was wondering if the 320 in 4X5 is similar to the 400 or if I should look into T-Max.
    Thanks

Re: Tri-X or T-Max.

Are those films so expensive to buy? if not then buy one of each and use them all, at the end you will have good results by all and then you can decide which one do you prefer more.
    I still don't have Large Format, but i bought Tri-X and T-Max [120] rolls to use with medium format and later will see which one is better for different applications.

Both are great films , so it's a matter of taste. I prefer TMY-2 (the current TMAX 400) because it's less grainy and has a linear tonal scale. Some people hate the linear tonal scale. The TMAX films are a little trickier to correctly expose and develop. Buy a box of both and test because there's no way to say one is better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Hello- Thanks for all of your help around here guiding me through my first steps through the woods of large format . I was wondering if Tri-X 320 or either of the T-Max films are better all purpose 4X5 films. I have read that Tri-X 320 can be very touchy when shooting 120. I love the Tri-X 400 for most applications so I was wondering if the 320 in 4X5 is similar to the 400 or if I should look into T-Max.
    Thanks
    Can't really answer anything until we know the following:

How are you going to print the images? Traditional darkroom, scan and inkjet, something else? Are you a contrasty or soft printer?

Why not consider other alternatives, such as Ilford?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

hacker extraordinaire

I was stuck on this myself. I like TMY, but I'm not sure if I can make it my "everything" film. I like 400TX, but I can't get that in 4x5 sheets and I've never used TXP. I ended up going for HP5+ and I've been using that for now. Now that it's gotten more expensive I might try a box of of TXP out.

Tri-x is said to be a little more forgiving and it does seem to be for underexposure compared to tmy. TMY and TMY2 handle overexposure quite well. Both are highly forgiving compared to slide film or digital.

TMY and now TMY2 are finer grained/sharper, which isn't so big a deal in 4x5 compared to the other smaller formats. I personally am more comfortable with the TMY/TMY2 because I've used tmax 400 for 20+ years now and have a good feel for it from lots of 35mm shooting and processing. Tri-x pan was far too grainy for my taste at 35mm sizes. My preference has until recently put me in the minority.

If reciprocity is a consideration (1/2 sec and longer) TMY is much better, you don't have to think about it until exposure times of ca. 10 sec. And it takes a lot of exposure, even a zone 12 will still be printable.

Well, I will do a traditional darkroom process with the films. I was leaning to the Tri-X and I think that is what I will go with...I would try them both as someone reccomended but that gets expensive since they are only available in boxes of 50 sheets and I think that it will take a while to go throught a box of 50.....

WOW if that $50-60 is expensive, i thought one box of 50 sheets will be over $100, so with $100 i can buy about 2 boxes

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...522+4291384683