Thread: GPS

GPS

Can anyone tell me which GPS is the best for LF photographer?

GPS

I use a GPS all the time to record where I took pics and to predict were the sun will be. Really any 12 channel GPS will do, no point in buying an expensive one unless you are going to use it for navigation as well. Since I do I have a relatively good one made by Garmin, but there are several good manufacturers out there.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

GPS

A Garmin GPS III has served me well for many years. For me, it is important to be able to record many waypoints -- all those spots you wish to return to when the light is right for that perfect shot . Also important is a feature that tracks your path and shows you how to retrace your steps.

Good light --

GPS

I strongly recommend a long, thorough wander around this website:

http://www.delorme.com/

Not only GPS, but also paper maps, CD's, materials for PDA's and laptops. All integrated. Neat stuff.

GPS

Hey, this is timely. I just ordered a handheld GPS after seeing how accurate and useful they are (got my first car GPS for X-mas). Presumably you are a landscape LF shooter, because you wouldn't be asking this question if you shoot in a studio :-). So you want one that is handheld, rugged, waterproof, lightweight, and lasts a reasonable time on a set of batteries. It's preferable to have enough memory to be able to load topo maps to the places you go often, and to be able to have lots of waypoints to mark photo locations or the location of your car when you go off wandering. Some GPS will tell you accurate sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times for any location, which I think is useful. I have tried and like the Garmin models.

GPS

I meant to add this link: http://gpsinformation.net/ (best source of GPS information on the web)

Beverly Hills, California

GPS

What now we need a GPS gadget? Did you guys get bored of your Christmas toys already? :-)

GPS

I have not been out west in a few years. But travelling (for example) in the escalante national monument can be precarious without a map. I think having a GPS would be great. But I would want the map also!

Old School Wayne

GPS

No GPS is needed. Map and compass is the large format way.

GPS

I'll go with the map and compass. Walk before you can fly. Gadget heads will welcome yet another device but looking at a map will reveal a lot of information about topography especially the 1:25000 where batteries only record with little spatial information. Maps also work under all conditions. Good luck with your walking there is no better sence of achievement.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.