Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Thumbs up Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ?

Don't be shy! Here's your chance to be an actual living inspiration! I know that the canonical drift is from 11x14 to 8x10 to Medium Format, but which of you tough, golden-aged Hepta or Sexagenarians are still fondling and hoisting the beasts? 11x14 or larger...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ?

Would that I could. However, I can't bring myself to sell all of my photo inventory to fund an ultra large format. 4x5 will have to do for me for now.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Sorry, I'm only 51. Ask again in 9 years.

I am going on 64. If I were not still busy doing my commercial photography I would sell my digital Canon and Phase one back and go for a very nice Phillips Compact 11x14" and do platinum/palladium prints. The camera weighs 15 pounds and the tripod, lens and holder another 15 so this is probably something to keep you fit in your old age. In my job as a commercial photographer I sometimes carry a camera bag, a strobe bag and a tripod all at once and it only helps me staying fit.

I'm still 8+ years from qualifying, but I expect to be carting my Ritter 7x17 around unitl the knees stop working. After the knees give out, I expect to push the gear around in my jogging stroller aka John Powers.

I would guess Michael A. Smith is 60 years old and he still gets around just fine with his 8x20....oh yeah, Michael has an assistant do the heavy lifting

I'm a month shy of 59, and I shoot 11x14 and 7x17..not every day, but some.

I still use my monster a few times a year but mainly with the 8x10 reducing back. That is down to cost of film and convenience in handling the sheet film (it's no lighter). If somebody wants to send a big box of 11x14 would use it. I'm the wrong side of 60 (but keep it quiet).
    Pet

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Okay, I'm close. Turned 59 in October. I backpack with my hand built 11x14 that comes in at 16 lbs. With lenses and my Walnut tripod my system weights about 40+ pounds. My 8x20 is about the same weight wise. I have backpacks for both and don't do great distances, maybe a mile or two and my knees are starting to act up for the first time in my life but I will never give the big ones up. Nothing like an 11x14 or 8x20 carbon transfer print.

Jim

69 this past Sept., 8x20 Korona added to the "family" over the summer from Neil Folberg... Gave in and ordered new bellows from Western Bellows, 6 weeks ago. Due any day.... Could use an extra holder or two if anyone is going in the "other direction". One is just not enough(holder, that is..) It's big but lightish, 24lb. The case is another story.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    I am going on 64. If I were not still busy doing my commercial photography I would sell my digital Canon and Phase one back and go for a very nice *Phillips Compact 11x14" and do platinum/palladium prints.
    I've had that *fantastic camera and you have a great plan! I agree about the staying fit part. I may as well come clean and add to my own thread and admit that I'm 62 and am currently hoisting Chamonix 8x20 and 14x17 and hope to do so for a little while yet.

OT ........I'm reading the latest (English) Arnaldur Indriðason, "Arctic Chill" and I have all of his previous ones. One of my favorite writers, although his portrayal of Iceland is not the idyllic one I had imagined! Still would love to visit one day and photograph...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain