Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Darkroom, wondering about the Beseler MXT

New Darkroom, wondering about the Beseler MXT

In my neck of the woods, there are more in-house labs going digital and commercial labs shutting down wet labs as well...I'd say to look for the newest used model you can find...avoid something that's seen too much use in a commercial lab though....if there are any state or university system surplus lots near you, you might want to go on a scavenger hunt through them....I was out at one of ours several weeks ago, and saw quite a bit of lab gear, processors etc... Fed surplus is the best, but it's hard for an individual to get access....the stuff is out there though, I picked up an old D2V years ago out of SC state surplus for next to nothing...I'd say go new only if you can't find a decent used one, and even then I'm not too sure if I'd buy one new... A new MXT runs close to a grand anyways, so you might want to broaden the search to other types like D2's etc., LPLs, maybe Dursts. Happy hunting....

With respect to aligning the MXT, Beseler made changes at some point in the production of the MXT and the later version can be aligned relatively easily (the key word here being "relatively"). I bought mine about seven years ago and it's the newer version so anything that age or later should be o.k. If you want to pursue this, I suggest you call Darryl McNicholas (sp?), who wrote the manual for the Beseler MXT and is an authorized repair person, or Beseler itself, for the details. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Daryll discussing the changes Beseler made and how to align the newer version but it's been a long time ago now and I don't remember the details. Daryll often writes for Shutterbug and includes his phone number with his articles. If you can't find it and want to talk with him, let me know and I'll dig it out.

I respectfully disagree with the person who recommended the VCL. I've used both and the VCL, with its single column chasis, didn't feel nearly as sturdy to me as the MXT. It may actually have been as sturdy or even more sturdy, I didn't try to do any kind of scientific tests, it just didn't have the same sturdy feel to me as the MXT.

The only thing I don't like about the MXT is that when using a piece of 8x10 or larger mat board to dodge or burn, the board often bumps up against the chasis supports at the rear of the enlarger and it can sometimes be difficult or impossible to get the board in the desired position. This problem might be alleviated with wall mounting.

I use the Aristo VCL 4500 head and it works beautifully when coupled with the MXT and the Metrolux timer. It's an expensive combination but well worth it IMHO.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian...yeah, it's Darryl Nichols...he puts out the ColorBAT Lab manuals & tech sheets.....there's alot of info in these handbooks about Beseler products, Jobos and using additive enlargers, but he's not a Beseler employee...the handbook is sort of along the lines of a photolab tech manual. We've never had very many alignment problems with our newer MXTs...the old MXII was a different story though, but it's seen _alot_ of use anyways. The newer modles can be aligned in both directions on the lens stage, whereas with the older ones you can only get so much out of them....also, if you use a rotating lens turret, you might as well give up on trying to get perfect alignment as well...get some of those lensboards with the alignment screws in them as well....the MXTs are rock solid though...you can get them in focus & leave them there all day....and they won't slip or budge...I do this in making mass PR prints...350+ prints off one neg...it stays in focus from beginning to end. BTW, the vcl4500 & metrolux is a great combo too....

Re: New Darkroom, wondering about the Beseler MXT

If you are in the Chicago area, give me a call, I have a lot of Excellent to mint 4x5 equipment, camera, lenses, enlarger, heads etc. Jim 708-510-0791

Nicholas O. Lindan

I use the manual elevation spin knob on the motor box for fine focus. It changes the image size a bit, but then so does the focusing knob - there's really no difference.

I also have the fine focus gear kit that someone was selling for Beselers and Omegas about 10-15 years ago - a nice thing to have if you can find one.

I think James has figured out how to use the MXII after almost 10 years - or maybe he went on to head NASA!

Nate Potter, Boston MA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    I think James has figured out how to use the MXII after almost 10 years - or maybe he went on to head NASA!

Nate Potter, Boston MA.
    LOL.

Yeah, NASA's Jim Webb really kicked some butt. The space program was lucky to have him.

There are deals to be had for good used enlargers. I recently bought a 45 MCRX in pristine condition for $175. It came with all the neg holders and lenses. The only problem is fitting myself into my bathroom darkroom with the enlarger. Time to build a real darkroom.

The older MXT with the tapered lower bellows does not allow for alignment except in one direction and that is verry iffy due to the design of a ball retained by a spring. I convered an older model to the newer with the large square lower bellows which does allow alignment. It is an expensive conversion (check B&H) but I felt it was worth it. Not too wel made but by changing the screws for alignment and adding some styrofoam to seal light leakes the MXT now can be aligned quickly and pretty easily, using the upper and lower adjustments.

As to the V54 cold light. It is very fast, but I purchased the rheostat Aristo sells, so I always focus at full bright, then adjust down a standard amount so I print closed down 2 stops at all print sizes. Best aperture.

I would suggest looking for a newer used MXT with the larger lower bellows.

Vesalign makes an excellent tool for alignment, far superior to using levels. Or, as I remember, the bok Way Beyond Monochrome illustrates how to make your own laser tool for peanuts'

I haven't read all the messages here so if this duplicates what others have said, my apologies.

I used an MXT for about 10 years and never had any problems. I'd suggest buying an MXT as opposed to one of the earlier 4x5 Beseler MX models. The MXT is easier to align and the motor will be newer.

I'd never buy a new enlarger today, used is definitely the way to go. I think I paid about $900 for my new MXT chasis only (no light source) 13 years ago and I sold it along with three Componon S lenses, four adjustable easels up to 16x20, and a whole bunch of other darkroom stuff for $250. If you're patient you surely can find a used MXT for about $150 or so. But there are other equally good (IMHO) enlargers out there - Omegas and Saunders in particular. I don't think there's anything so superior about the MXT that would cause me to wait a long time for a used one, a good condition used Omega or Saunders should work equally well except for the lack of a motorized head. I'd take a look at Craig's List and see what you can find locally. The big problem with enlargers, new or used, is the shipping cost.

I used the Aristo VCL4500 head with my MXT and loved it for b&w work. I'd try to find one of those or a color head rather than a non-variable head such as the one your father-in-law has. A color head or the VCL4500 is much more convenient to use for b&w work than messing around with filters.

I think you're on the right track in looking for a 4x5. Manufacturers figured that anyone using 4x5 film must be a pro or a pretty serious amateur so the 4x5s tend to be better made and have more accessories than smaller format enlargers.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.