Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Darkroom, wondering about the Beseler MXT

New Darkroom, wondering about the Beseler MXT

I've used the 45MXT for years without any problem. I bought it well used. It is a battleship. I definitely recommend the 4x5, even if you don't think you will need it. VERY stable. I use the high intensity V54, and had same positive experience with Aristo. You can find them all over the place...surf the web, try ebay, call Midwest Photo. Many available, with the current advent of digital.

The Beseler would be my second choice, and it is a fine machine. Nothing to complain about with it.

As far as light sources, if you want cold light go for the Aristo V54 VC tube, which has green and blue light present so you can print VC if you like.

If for some reason you burn out the motor, Beseler can provide a replacement.

My first choice is what I have: a Saunders/LPL 4500-II. I think it works more smoothly and effortlessly than the Beseler. These have, however, diffusion light sources only. But they give the same light character as cold lights.

Check out Adorama for mail ordering it. They've got decent prices, & quick service. B&H is good, too.

Try B&H for the 45MXT. I know they have them in stock and their prices are consistently better than Calumet, although their sales help is not as good. But since you already know what you want, B&H is reliable.

Sorry to be contrary here, but I strongly recommend you do not buy the MXT. For a few hundred dollars more you can get the Beseler V-XL which is a far superior machine. The problem with the MXT is that the negative and lens stages cannot be aligned properly or permanently. I owned one for ten years and always had to fiddle with it. On the V-XL, which I purchased afterwards, the lens stage and negative stages can be aligned positively and permanently. Save yourself years of frustration. They both take the same light sources and accessories.

Beverly Hills, California

I second David's recommendation to get the VXL.

Saunders makes nice enlargers. So does Beseler. So does Omega. I've used all three, and they worked fine for me.

I agree that getting a 4x5 is a good choice. You may want to see what sort of deals come around. I have an Omega 4x5 with a color head. Got a great deal on it from a place that was going digital. (My wife hates it when I find those kinds of deals.) That's why I have an Omega.

If I hadn't purchased the Omega, I would have a Beseler 45 MXT with the drop-top table. I moved into a new lab (molecular biology, not photo) and there was the Beseler and table (and an Omega B-66 along with 50/2.8 and 135/5.6 Nikon lenses) stuck up on top of the pipes running along the ceiling. The previous occupant didn't want them, so I got them. Selling the Beseler more than made up for buying the Omega.

For me, the choice came down to what good deals were available when I was buying. You may want to look around and see what sort of deals you can find. I think buying used is a very good way to go. Very little of my photo equipment was purchased new.

DW

Go used. If you're careful, you can get a 'good as new' enlarger for much less than you would pay for new. If you're in chicago, it should be easy to find a shop with good used equipment. Ebay is another good place to check, although shipping could be an issue with a large item. Good luck. The Beselers are made to last forever.

Someone mentioned the focus control of the 45M binding and jumping. I had the same problem, and managed to all but eliminate it.

The lower standard (where the lensboard lives) travels on a track that is geared on the front and rides on Teflon pads on the back. The uneven travel is caused by the contact surfaces not being clean. The best way to fix it is to remove the whole shebang from the rack. Normally, it can only travel so far down because there's a screw that protrudes through the gear rack from the back. Remove the screw, and the lower standard will ride right of the rack (it will just be hanging by the bellows). Clean all the accumulated crud off the metal and the Teflon and lubricate it with some dry powdered graphite. Smooth as a baby's bottom....no binds, no jumps.

Don't lose the screw.

James,

I had an MXT for 8 years. I loved it for most of that time. However, it apparently got "warped", because from one day to the next it would never align properly again. I worked on it for months without success. Also, the focusing would jump. I hated getting rid of it, but I had to. I bought a Saunders/LPL 4550 XLG. I've really enjoyed it, both the alignment and the secure focusing.

That said, I agree with other posters about buying most equipment used, and if the price is right, do it. My only fear about an MXT after the problem I had is in knowing whether or not the one you buy is aligned or can be aligned. This may not really be a common problem, but since it happened to me, it would be a worry.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas about enlargers!

I will take a long walk and decide what to do. Used or new? MXT or VXL? Another brand? Lot's of choices, but fun to think about. I noticed when working on my father-in-law's MXT that the focus would frequently move, and also that his alignment was not very stable. He bought one of those laser gizmos, and when he proudly showed me how it worked, was surprised to find that his enlarger had already skewed its alignment. I don't notice it on smaller prints, but he mentioned that on larger prints the edges get soft if not properly aligned.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply, and enjoy the holidays!