Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Russian Largeformat Lenses

Re: Russian Largeformat Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Also think hard about which Industar 11-M you want. Industar is Soviet-speak for tessar type.
    And they are the spitting image of the matching Zeiss (GDR)/Pentacon/Meyer barrel type Tessars. The latter turn up in a wider range of focal lengths, and are mostly newer, cleaner and better made - and often more affordable, too.

Think hard about which "Graflex" you want. If Graflex, as in SLR, some types have limited extension. If Speed Graphic, they all have limited extension.

Also think hard about which Industar 11-M you want. Industar is Soviet-speak for tessar type. The number that follows "Industar," for example 51, indicates design number and usually indicates focal length too. All I-51s are 210s, and so on. But the designation I-11M covers a family of lenses, all clones of the CZJ Apo-Tessar. Focal lengths include 150, 300, 360, and 450 mm. I think I've seen a 600, could be mistaken.
    wow thanks a lot for the info's dan.. would like to get speed graphic for my barrel lenses (is it rare to get a 5x7 speed graphic?). hit and miss when i'm using barrel lenses and i'm new in LF photography so still trying to learn! i was going to get the I-57 because of the larger aperture. but right now i think it's better to play around with what i have so far.. the I-57 and my I-11m are all the same when it comes to lens design right? so both will just perform the same. it's just that I-57 (which i think is more expensive than I-11m) has bigger aperture. am i right?

thanks again guys! i need to shoot these barrel lenses that i have. right now i'm on using paper negs. hope i could post some shots here later.

T But the designation I-11M covers a family of lenses, all clones of the CZJ Apo-Tessar. Focal lengths include 150, 300, 360, and 450 mm. I think I've seen a 600, could be mistaken.
    Also 750, 900, and 1200mm.

Thanks, Arne.

tenderobject, go to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

Also, did you mean Industar-57 or -51? I ask because I'm not acquainted with the -57. The -51 is a 210/4.5, can be easily be used on 3x4 and larger Speed Graphics. I tried one out on my 2x3 Speed -- long story -- and rejected it as not sharp enough. Soviet lenses seem to be quite variable in quality.

Thanks, Arne.

tenderobject, go to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs.

Also, did you mean Industar-57 or -51? I ask because I'm not acquainted with the -57. The -51 is a 210/4.5, can be easily be used on 3x4 and larger Speed Graphics. I tried one out on my 2x3 Speed -- long story -- and rejected it as not sharp enough. Soviet lenses seem to be quite variable in quality.
    thanks for the link dan!

the industar-57 300mm is a 4.5 right? i agree with the soviets quality.. although early made lenses (in miniature format) looks quite good when it comes to quality.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    thanks for the link dan!

the industar-57 300mm is a 4.5 right? i agree with the soviets quality.. although early made lenses (in miniature format) looks quite good when it comes to quality.
    I haven't heard about or seen an Industar-57 either - of course that does not mean it doesn't exist, every surprise is possible when it comes to Soviet lenses... The 4.5/300mm Industars I am aware of are the Industar-11 (without the "M" of the f/9 Apo-Tessar copies, it was made before WWII), Industar-13, Industar-37, and Industar-55. The 13 and 37 were made by KOMZ, the 55 by GOMZ. Note that there was another Industar-55 with 140mm focal length, a lens for a 9x12cm view camera named "Techno", as well as an Industar-55y (actually 55u, y is the cyrillic u, made by MMZ/Belomo) with 140mm focal length, an enlarging lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    I haven't heard about or seen an Industar-57 either - of course that does not mean it doesn't exist, every surprise is possible when it comes to Soviet lenses... The 4.5/300mm Industars I am aware of are the Industar-11 (without the "M" of the f/9 Apo-Tessar copies, it was made before WWII), Industar-13, Industar-37, and Industar-55. The 13 and 37 were made by KOMZ, the 55 by GOMZ. Note that there was another Industar-55 with 140mm focal length, a lens for a 9x12cm view camera named "Techno", as well as an Industar-55y (actually 55u, y is the cyrillic u, made by MMZ/Belomo) with 140mm focal length, an enlarging lens.
    yikes, i'm sorry arne. my mistak.. it should be I-37 not 57.. a typo or i'm just ignorant..

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    yikes, i'm sorry arne. my mistak.. it should be I-37 not 57.. a typo or i'm just ignorant..
    :-) sure, typos happen all the time!
    But-one has to be careful here because of the way the Soviet lenses were named: The name (Industar, Orion, Uran etc.) designates the design type, the number designates for what format and camera it is - if you know the lists. An error by one digit could mean the difference between an 8x10 lens and a 35mm one, or the difference between a small lens with Leica screw mount and a monster of an aerial lens.

Here is one of the 210 Industar with color film. I used some front rise, and was treated to some color shifting in the corners.