Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ?

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    Sorry, I'm only 51. Ask again in 9 years.
    Could you please remind me? My memory isn't what it used to be...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

OT ........I'm reading the latest (English) Arnaldur Indriðason, "Arctic Chill" and I have all of his previous ones. One of my favorite writers, although his portrayal of Iceland is not the idyllic one I had imagined! Still would love to visit one day and photograph...
    Arnaldur Indriðason writes great murder mysteries in the Nordic tradition, started by a couple Per Wahlöö and Maj Sjöwall (they were accused of copying Ed McBain) and later carried on by Henning Mankell , Jo Nesbo and others.- There is as much a chance of finding the Reykjavik of Arnaldur as there is a way of discovering Chandler's or Marlow's San Francisco- The most interesting Nordic mystery writer at the moment is Stieg Larsson with his three books called the Millenium trilogy. Be sure to have them all before you start reading the first

Richard M. Coda

I'm only going to be 50 next year so I will keep coming back to this thread for the next 10 years. I just started using 11x14. My camera's fairly light - half Canham/half Arca 8x10, but it requires two cases (I usually bring three, another for the 4x5 and peripherals/lenses). I also tend to photograph in an urban or semi-urban environment. Used to do landscapes a long time ago, not much anymore, so no need for hiking, but I would like to return to the landscape someday. I tend to follow Brett Weston's advice about photographing near the roadway...
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Lord willin and the creeks don’t rise, I’ll be 70 March 30, 2010.
    http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?...00000479112834

Dick Phillips’ 7x17, the big Ries Head and the old big Ries Tripod come to 46 pounds. They ride assembled in the jogger bungied to a cooler bag of lenses and stuff on top of seven film holders. I’m not sure what the 250mm wide field Ektar weighs, but it goes on after the camera is up. The jogger http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx. Instead of 50 feet from the car this lets me go two miles out on trails or across fields, no steps, no cliffs. For one of the Jobo threads I estimated that I shoot 250 sheets of 7x17 and 100 sheets of 8x10 a year.

A few things keep me going. The doc would like me to walk a mile five times a week. Two Labrador Retrievers demand we average 8-12 miles a week including a Sunday morning off leash 3-5 mile stroll with a group called Hiking Hounds. We live two miles from Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I retired and have taken sixteen college photography courses since 2004. The courses motivate by requiring ten 11x14 or larger prints for critique every two weeks. After a 20 minute equipment demo I have finally convinced the class that it is a little harder with a 7x17 than a 35mm. Thirty 7x17 contact prints of the OH & Erie canal hanging fourteen months in Cleveland’s history museum and a few other shows. A loving wife who thinks it is wonderful that I am going after my dream and happy that it isn’t a 20 year old college student. I would really like a 12x20 Chamonix based on Dick Phillips’ design. He is my idol. He just stopped making cameras at 76 and has walked circles around me up hill carrying LF gear.

John

How about 58 and using a Calumet C1 for five mile trail walks? OK, how about a 5x7 for less than a mile, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    How about 58 and using a Calumet C1 for five mile trail walks? OK, how about a 5x7 for less than a mile, does that count?
    Absolutely!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Lord willin and the creeks don’t rise, I’ll be 70 March 30, 2010.

Dick Phillips’ 7x17, the big Ries Head and the old big Ries Tripod come to 46 pounds. They ride assembled in the jogger bungied to a cooler bag of lenses and stuff on top of seven film holders. I’m not sure what the 250mm wide field Ektar weighs, but it goes on after the camera is up. The jogger http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx. Instead of 50 feet from the car this lets me go two miles out on trails or across fields, no steps, no cliffs. For one of the Jobo threads I estimated that I shoot 250 sheets of 7x17 and 100 sheets of 8x10 a year.

A few things keep me going. The doc would like me to walk a mile five times a week. Two Labrador Retrievers demand we average 8-12 miles a week including a Sunday morning off leash 3-5 mile stroll with a group called Hiking Hounds. We live two miles from Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I retired and have taken sixteen college photography courses since 2004. The courses motivate by requiring ten 11x14 or larger prints for critique every two weeks. After a 20 minute equipment demo I have finally convinced the class that it is a little harder with a 7x17 than a 35mm. Thirty 7x17 contact prints of the OH & Erie canal hanging fourteen months in Cleveland’s history museum and a few other shows. A loving wife who thinks it is wonderful that I am going after my dream and happy that it isn’t a 20 year old college student. I would really like a 12x20 Chamonix based on Dick Phillips’ design. He is my idol. He just stopped making cameras at 76 and has walked circles around me up hill carrying LF gear.

John
    John, thanks for this inspiring, thoughtful post. I also use, on occasion, a retrofitted stroller and it's a real back saver for those long treks to where the subject, instead of obligingly being near the car trunk, obstinately has positioned itself a km down the trail! And yes, Dick's an amazing fellow! Keep on keeping on John; all the best to you!

I sold my last ULF, an 11x14 Ebony, when I was about 65 or 66. I have also had Wisners up to 16x20 as a sexagenarian. I have a bad back and always worried about throwing it out putting the camera on a tripod. The reason I got rid of everything over 8x10 was the film problem. I am willing to shoot Tri-X or Bergger only right now.

Re: Any 60+ Using Formats 11x14 + ? OT!!! (Nordic Writers)

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    Arnaldur Indriðason writes great murder mysteries in the Nordic tradition, started by a couple Per Wahlöö and Maj Sjöwall (they were accused of copying Ed McBain) and later carried on by Henning Mankell , Jo Nesbo and others.- There is as much a chance of finding the Reykjavik of Arnaldur as there is a way of discovering Chandler's or Marlow's San Francisco- The most interesting Nordic mystery writer at the moment is Stieg Larsson with his three books called the Millenium trilogy. Be sure to have them all before you start reading the first
    This should probably now be in the Lounge but here's one last post here! I've read many Nordic writers (probably started with Smilla's Sense of Snow), including several by Per Wahlöö and Maj Sjöwall and several by Mankell. I have Larsson's 3 books in British First editions and am about to start reading the third one. Great stuff and I'm also happy that UK Firsts have significantly appreciated in value! I had similar good luck with a few other British Firsts, including Dissolution by C J Sansom and Under the Eagle by Scarrow. It's a real shame that Larsson died so young; a terrific talent. Now...back to photography...

[QUOTE=John Powers;532193]Lord willin and the creeks don’t rise, I’ll be 70 March 30, 2010.

I'm here to tell you all that John is only pretending to be approaching 70. I went with him a couple of years ago to photograph some stone gorges and waterfalls and have the following to relay: John and I were standing on a wooden observation deck built onto the top of an 80 foot cliff overlooking the Chagrin River and a horseshoe shaped waterfall. John set up the 7x17 to try to take it all in. After repeatedly trying to move the camera forward to get an optimal view, he left the camera and started to walk back to his truck. I was there with my 8x10 inch "training wheels" camera (John's words) thinking that he had given up and was leaving in disgust. He returned with a long piece of heavy gauge nautical rope, tied it around his waist and then tied himself and the camera to the observation deck piling so he could lean out over the cliff to get the shot. All of this was done without hesitation while I watched in amazement having visions of him dangling at the end of the rope while I would be left to try to pull him up. He calmly finished composing, asked me to hand him a film holder, and captured a beautiful overhead panorama of these unusual falls.

I guess you are only as old (and sane) as you allow yourself to be.