Thread: Hard disc "failure?"

Hard disc "failure?"

For the past couple days I've been pulling large scanned files off one external hard disc, tweaking them in PS, and saving to another external hard disc (Iomega). The files end up in a folder that's nested within another parent folder named for this particular photo project.

Yesterday, as I was attempting to save another of these files out of PS, the subfolder suddenly didn't show up in the Save As dialogue box of PS, and I can't even find the thing through windows explorer or anything. Where could the damned thing have gone?

So far, I've only checked the disc for errors and found none. Is there anything else I can do to find/recover the lost subfolder?

It's an Iomega 1000 gig disc that's 1/2 year old and half full, and I'm using Vista Home Premium (or whatever it's called).

Thanks for any help...

NEVER MIND, I FOUND IT!!!!

In a post-Thanksgiving stupor I must have somehow dragged the subfolder to another location for a different photo project. Sheeesh...
    Last edited by poco; 27-Nov-2009 at 05:05. Reason: Stupidity

Re: Hard disc "failure?"

Great news. Has the heart rate returned to normal now?

Not a nice experience; I had a client spill coffee over my laptop and it wasn't until a couple of weeks later that the disk died, but in the meantime, I hadn't kept my backup up to date; fortunately, the most I lost was a couple of weeks of e-mails.

Just a thought: if your disks are not RAID mirrored, you might like to consider that as an option. Then, if one disk of the pair fails, the other will keep going until you replace the faulty one.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Thanks Joanna, with the untweaked files still safe on the other drive I was only bummed enough to seek solace in a second slice of pumpkin pie. But it was definitely annoying.

I've read about the RAID thing but always assumed it would be too complicated for me to handle (mysterious acronym and all that), but maybe it's time to research it.

IOmega do a great product http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/...erviewItem_tab

Simply change the switch on the back to RAID 1 (the default is RAID 0 which spreads the data over the two disks rather than duplicating it), plug it in and switch it on. Even Windows should be able to detect it.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Thanks, Joanna, I'll check it out.