Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time to buy

First time to buy

Hi all,

I am new here and it is first time to post here, so i will ask this question.

I am new to film photography, and i just bought 2 film medium format cameras to start into film, but i am always thinking about large formats, many many photographers who are shooting digital these days said they were using film mostly large formats maybe, so i would like to get into large format photography as well even it is too late for me now, so what do you recommend me as a large format camera?

give me more than one option, i shoot landscapes and outdoors but i can shoot portraits sometimes, also reading about cameras making me to get crazy because really i don't know anything at all about those movements on some LF cameras and what i should look at in LF cameras, budget is not a big problem, also i was hoping or wish that if i can find any LF new completely [not used], and i wish to get 8x10, but i will accept 4x5 anyway, any recommendations?!!!

Re: First time to buy

It might conceivably help if we had some idea where you are located and knew more about you.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Welcome to group therepy! For landscape and occasional portrature use, I would suggest a 4x5 Field camera or even an older Press camera (like the Crown or Super Graphic) since you probably won't need much more front movement than these allow for that type of shooting. The press cameras, especially, are often priced very attractively and will usually handle lenses from 90mm to 250mm with no problem; you will probably use the wide to normal lenses for most of the landscape shots and a longer lens (200mm to 250mm) for most of the portrait shots. Don't forget that you will also need a tripod heavy enough for these cameras, a focusing hood, and film holders to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    It might conceivably help if we had some idea where you are located and knew more about you.
    I live in United Arab Emirates.
    What more details or information about me you would like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy! For landscape and occasional portrature use, I would suggest a 4x5 Field camera or even an older Press camera (like the Crown or Super Graphic) since you probably won't need much more front movement than these allow for that type of shooting. The press cameras, especially, are often priced very attractively and will usually handle lenses from 90mm to 250mm with no problem; you will probably use the wide to normal lenses for most of the landscape shots and a longer lens (200mm to 250mm) for most of the portrait shots. Don't forget that you will also need a tripod heavy enough for these cameras, a focusing hood, and film holders to get started.
    Ah ok, thank very much, i will have a look at that, and also waiting for more recommendations here!

Richard Ritter 8x10 camera.
    4x5 and/or 5x7 reducing backs.
    Lenses to match.

http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

Have Fun!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I have no experience with the seller, and offer this only as an example of what I consider a good camera at a good price:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=41609

Considering that budget is not a argument, you will still have to make up you mind, 8 X 10 or 4 X 5. If you have never seen both, I suggest buy a dark slide in each format. And decide if you are willing to lug a 8 X 10 camera around, Taking landscape pictures will involve lugging a camera! You get a good notion of the camera from the dark slide that goes into the beast.

Well, if you are planning on portraiture then a 4X5 camera with a rangefinder for quick focusing would be a BIG help. That would include the Speed Graphic and (my favorite) a Linhof Super Technika III, IV, V, or Master. They work well for landscape shooting as well!
    Steve

vickersdc

How are you going to deal with printing the images? If you shoot 5x4 then you may well need an enlarger to suit (or scan the negatives). If you want 8x10, then you will probably be contact printing (or scanning).

Monorail / flatbed? Film negative / paper negative / glass negative (although I assume film)? How much travelling are you going to do with the camera?

There are so many options that you might need to look a little bitter closer at your own needs for your photography before making any decision - sure, post your thoughts here and I'm sure we'll all help you to spend your money

You might like to check out the articles at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ as well.

Cheers,
    David.

If you have a budget for 8x10 then by all means start out with an 8x10. (although personally I think color 8x10 would put a strain on anyone's budget)There are plenty of good ones out there both new and used. If you are intent on color get a 4x5, but if you want to do something exceptional in B&W portraiture you might even consider an 11x14 (just be sure it comes with film holders----11x14 film holders are expen$$$ive!)

First get a copy of Using The View Camera. It is a great introduction to view cameras. It will explain a lot.

If you are buying new, look at the Shen Hao, Argentium, Chaminoix (sp?) and Tachihara. Any dealer should be able to set you up with a "kit" with a lens, lensboard, holders, dark cloth & tripod. Or for used gear look at the "for sale" section here.
    Have fun and enjoy the experience!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White