Thread: Epson V700/V750 Dual Lens System. Please Explain.

Epson V700/V750 Dual Lens System. Please Explain.

Hi, I am having trouble finding information regarding the 'dual lens system' on the Epson V700/V750

For the record I bought the V700 a week ago and I am trying to get the best out of it. I have read somewhere online that the 'better' lens only comes into play when you select 6400dpi resolution on the scanning software. Now my questions are:

1. is that true? or is the dual lens system always in action whatever resolution you select in software?

2. if you use a third party software (like silverfast) what happens to the dual lens system? does it come in effect the same as with the epson scanner?

Cheers

Re: Epson V700/V750 Dual Lens System. Please Explain.

See http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...00/page_17.htm

As is explained, if you select Film Area Guide in Document Type the scanner software automatically selects the "high resolution lens". If you select Film Holder in Document type the scanner software selects the "super high resolution" lens. Resolution has nothing to do with which of the two lenses is selected.

It really would have been nice if Epson had documented this in a printed manual distributed with the scanner. But alas, that is not the case.

BTW, the "super resolution" lens has a wider aperture than the "high resolution" lens, which makes correct adjustment of the plane of focus more important. However, it is also easier to do the adjustment with the wider aperture lens if you have good high contrast target because the difference between in-focus and out-of-focus is much easier to find.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by cs_foto View Post
    Hi, I am having trouble finding information regarding the 'dual lens system' on the Epson V700/V750

For the record I bought the V700 a week ago and I am trying to get the best out of it. I have read somewhere online that the 'better' lens only comes into play when you select 6400dpi resolution on the scanning software. Now my questions are:

1. is that true? or is the dual lens system always in action whatever resolution you select in software?

2. if you use a third party software (like silverfast) what happens to the dual lens system? does it come in effect the same as with the epson scanner?

Cheers
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    See http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...00/page_17.htm

Resolution has nothing to do with which of the two lenses is selected.

Sandy King
    thanks a lot for the answer and for the link...

so if you use a third party software (like silverfast) then which setting will tell the scanner what lens to use? (as far as i know silverfast doesn't have the option of switching between film area guide / film holder)

Quote Originally Posted by cs_foto View Post
    thanks a lot for the answer and for the link...

so if you use a third party software (like silverfast) then which setting will tell the scanner what lens to use? (as far as i know silverfast doesn't have the option of switching between film area guide / film holder)
    I don't use Silverfast with the V700 and can not answer that question. Perhaps someone else can address this issue, though it might require a bit of testing.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

If I remember correctly, if you scan 8x10 film placed on the glass or scan in reflection mode, then scanner uses "low resolution" lens, otherwise it is "high resolution". Those two lenses focus on different distance above the glass. Selection of the lens in my understanding is done by scanner firmware when scanner detects film holder. So in Silverfast you don't need to set anything.

--Sergei

Silverfast has the option to switch between film area guide and film holder for the Epson V700. If you go to the general tab in the silverfast control window, you have the following options for "Original": reflective, transparent and transparent (full area).
    Transparent (full area) = high resolution lens
    Transparent = super high resolution lens

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Disilvestro View Post
    Silverfast has the option to switch between film area guide and film holder for the Epson V700. If you go to the general tab in the silverfast control window, you have the following options for "Original": reflective, transparent and transparent (full area).
    Transparent (full area) = high resolution lens
    Transparent = super high resolution lens
    wicked! thanks!