Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gasc & Charconnet Petzval

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Gasc & Charconnet Petzval

I have no idea if it makes any difference but the lens I have has a # 3137 on it.

Jim

Eddie, Youre in Amsterdam, Did you bring a photo of your Busch lens with you?
    I think you need to go North a little (Denmark) and seek help

I'm very sorry to wander even more off topic, but can anybody tell me how to tell a globe lens from an aplanat (wide-angle aplanat)?

Also, CCHarrison, are you absolutely sure the picture you posted is a globe (by Gasc et Charconnet) lens? I don't want to contest it, or doubt it, just want to make sure.

Wimpler - I grabbed the pic from here http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2453581

and it is listed as simliar to Globe Lens, but now that I study it more, I am not entirely sure its the G&C "Globe" as the front lens group seems a tiny bit less curved than other Globes and the lens shade seems a bit too deep... hmmmmmm...........

If its not their Globe copy, it would appear to be a fairly extreme wide angle...

Attached below is another G&C lens with less lens curvature - a more moderate Wide Angle....

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

For more contrast, here is another firm's French "copy" of the GLobe lens

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1971206

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Claudio Santambrogio

All those globes... They look very pretty. Anybody has some shots taken with the globe they are willing to share? I have never consciously seen anything shot with them.

I have 2 Gasc & Charconnet Petzval lens, 18 inch f6 and 7 inch f4.6 (estimated based on their waterhouse slots). Both are newer than the one you have for their serial numbers are 310xx & 926xx respectively. They are also marked Geo. Bryant & Co. which was the importing agent. Here is a link of a picture I took of my son a couple of years ago using the 7 inch Gasc & Charconnet petzval http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5816490

Thanks Jon, I would have loved it when my old man had made images like that when I was a teenager. Not then probably, but now I would look at them and be a happy kid again!

Cheers, Maurits

Thank you Maurits. I know what you mean. My son was not the true "volunteer" for the picture.....he is the typical teenager. At least his mom truly likes the picture....I am sure he will appreciate it as he ages....

Jon

I have a 9in (or thereabout) magic lantern lens that has a flange with France stamped into it, but no markings on the body. When I took it apart on the glass I see G&C marks - you guys think it's Gasc & Charconnet?