Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Camera Strap...Help Appreciated

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Need Camera Strap...Help Appreciated

OK, here's the situation. I have a couple of beautiful Chamonix cameras but they do not have straps attached as part of their design. Straps would help with the lifting of the camera and positioning on the tripod head. I've been trying to find, to no avail, a suitable strap and hardware to attach one with myself. I've looked in a lot of the usual places (Lee Valley, etc.) but no luck. Just a 6-8" long (but 1/2" wide) piece of nice leather with hardware is all I would need but I can't seem to find it. Part of the problem is that there is only 1/2" available widthwise on the back and I worry about splitting the fine wood. I'm hoping to find holes for the hardware spaced along the back, not across the 1/2" width of it (see photo below). I was inquiring earlier where companies like Wista or Ebony etc. source their straps but no luck there either! So, ANYBODY?!?!?

These pictures may help visualize what I'm talking about...

Last edited by Richard K.; 21-Nov-2009 at 13:29. Reason: Added photo...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Need Camera Strap...Help Appreciated

dumb question - what do the straps at the top of the front and rear standards above the bellows in your pics do ?

If the fastening points are strong enough, why not get a strap tensioner and thread the two straps together ?

http://www.shopwiki.com/KENYON+Sliplock+1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    dumb question - what do the straps at the top of the front and rear standards above the bellows in your pics do ?
    They're there to gather up bellows to prevent bellows vignetting with certain extreme movements (there's a vecro counterpart attached to a couple of places on the bellows).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    If the fastening points are strong enough, why not get a strap tensioner and thread the two straps together ?
    Different configuration when camera is closed. Wouldn't give as good maneuverability as a strap on top of rear standard...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Photographer

I've had the same concern but haven't done anything about it. I did find and save the attached picture of the Phillips strap for reference. It appears to be a simple leather strap, probably with grommets in each end and anchored to brass inserts in the camera itself.

If you do implement something, let us know what you do and how it works out.
    Keith Pitman

Why leather? You can get nylon woven straps (belts) in all sizes and colors - they are much stronger and durable and very lightweight.

Photographer

Another thought: The aluminum fitting in the middle of the back to which the bellows strap is attached has a tapped hole in it (at least on the larger cameras, can't tell about on the picture you posted -- maybe 1/4-28--not sure). You could use that for a loop of nylon webbing with a grommet fitted into it.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    I've had the same concern but haven't done anything about it. I did find and save the attached picture of the Phillips strap for reference. It appears to be a simple leather strap, probably with grommets in each end and anchored to brass inserts in the camera itself.

If you do implement something, let us know what you do and how it works out.
    The Phillips idea would work well; I do worry about the 1/2" of wood splitting...any comments from experieinced wood non-splitters?

I'll post once I've sussed this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Why leather? You can get nylon woven straps (belts) in all sizes and colors - they are much stronger and durable and very lightweight.
    I'm not adverse to non-leather, just been conditioned to think that it fits nice...but sure, nylon maybe...

If you were planning on drilling into the wood to attach strap hardware, might I suggest you consider simply attaching a rack mount handle. What's that you ask? Look here:
    http://handlesunlimited.thomasnet.co...r=10&forward=1

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    If you were planning on drilling into the wood to attach strap hardware, might I suggest you consider simply attaching a rack mount handle. What's that you ask? Look here:
    http://handlesunlimited.thomasnet.co...r=10&forward=1
    Hmmmm, it's an idea! This one:

http://handlesunlimited.thomasnet.co...001031|3001008

might work...and it comes in brown, black, green, yellow...