Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crown Graphic and Schneider

Crown Graphic and Schneider

Just to throw another twist in the thread, both the Busch Pressman and the Burke & James Press have front tilt in both directions, revolving backs, are armor plated, and usually cost half as much as the Super Graphic (plus the Busch is much more compact).

FWIW:

In answer to the tilt up only on a Crown: For down tilt mount the camera on its' side tripod hole and turn the tripod head on its' side. Voila! down tilt! BTW the camera is up-side-down. (The image, however, is still up-side-down). DARN!

Yes, I REALLY DO HAVE a fedora with a press card in the band. With the hat, a photo vest, the Crown with a frying pan flash and a cigar, I'm ready for anything. Now where's the smoke filled boxing ring? Or at least the pool playing dogs.

-Steve

Hi Dan, Just thought I'd jump on the Crown Graphic bandwagon also. I have many LF camera's in an array of formats. Just to give you a little incentive of the neat little things you can do with this camera, here is what I did. I removed the top mounted Graflex range finder and mounted a two way bubble level on the top left of the frame. Also removed the shutters built-in cable release, and rear mounted sport finder peep hole. Now simular to what Ed mentioned above, I removed the front standard bracket only and slid it off it's tracks and reversed it and reconnected it to the front standard. You now have foward "slightly" off axis tilt. You do not need all that much tilt in the field anyway. On a Crown Graphic you have front shift by depressing the little silver tab at the center bottom base of the front standard. It will end up facing to the rear when you reverse your front standard brackets. You now have a stripped down, light weight 4x5 field camera. I use a two lens combo, a Schneider 121 Super Angulon and a Rodenstock 210 Sironar-N. The rear element of the 121 SA just barely fits through the front standard opening. I do not have to drop the bed when using the 121SA. Price wise Dan, I paid about 400.00 when I purchased my Crown, but it came as a complete kit. Came with 127 lens , 7 4x5 film holders, old light meter and case. Hope this helps.

Correction... I met to say " As Erik mentioned above", not Ed.