Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film holders for antique cameras

Film holders for antique cameras

I have a chance to buy a "fully functioning" 4x5 Ica Juwel (c. 1920), but the se ller says he does not have the film holders for it. Does anyone know if there ar e holders that will work and are readily available?

Much thanks.....budding oldies buff.....Alex

Try trolling Google and eBay. I just picked up some nice Nagle 9 x 12 film holders on eBay. Ken

and don't forget that they used glass-plates at that time. So for todays sheet film you need thin plates that were insert first to fix the film in the right position. Another point of weakness is the felt strip at the slide opening.

I believe the Juwel takes a different kind of holder (it snaps in and is released by a button for lack of a better description) versus the ridged plate holders found on the Voigtlander Avus or Zeiss Ikon Maximar, Trona and similar less expensive cameras. I would ask JC Welch at Equinox Photographic, who knows ICA pretty well.

Re: Film holders for antique cameras

I am about to purchase a Russian FKD wooden 18x24 cm camera. There are no plate holders with the camera. Where can I get them? I have not had much luck online and the format is a bit smaller than standard 8x10 antique plate holders.

Foamer

I've been passing on older cameras that have no holders since the time period I'm looking at (1885-1915) don't seem to have been standardized on the outside dimensions. You might have better luck with your newer model.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

FKD cameras take FKD plate holders, I'm afraid. They seem to be reasonably standardised, at least for newer cameras. You should be able to find them on ebay, look out for ex-USSR sellers of camera equipment and drop them a line to ask.

"I am about to purchase a Russian FKD wooden 18x24 cm camera. There are no plate holders with the camera. Where can I get them? I have not had much luck online and the format is a bit smaller than standard 8x10 antique plate holders."

Do a search on German Ebay for 18x24. Seems like I have seen some on there from time to time.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

German 18x24cm cameras (and holders) tend not to be FKD-compatible. The German cameras may be the original models on which the FKD's were based, but don't expect a German holder to fit an FKD camera. In fact, you shouldn't expect a German 18x24cm holder to fit any other German 18x24cm camera, either...

hoodledoodles

I have an FKD 13x18 and also looking for film holders - how do I find details of ex-USSR sellers who may have them to sell?
    Best
    Heather