Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Many swear by their Shen-hao, without the irritating limitations of Chamonix cameras.
    Was my first thought for you...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I just hope the fresnel in this case doesn't slide directly on the gg - and gather all the dust from it..?
    Anyway, it is interesting to see the scale of the technical problems specific to these digital photography view cameras.
    The gg back assembly has 3 grooves. The first for the gg of choice, the second for the Fresnel and the third for viewing/focus devices like a reflex finder or a bellows hood or for a loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by gregvds View Post
    By the way, GPS, I'm interested if you have any suggestion for that third camera that would fit the bill. Of course an ebony is fine, but not on the same league cost-wise, and quite heavy, no? Canham was tempting also, but again, quite big tagprice for me and quite heavy too.

Other brand I didn't look too closely at the mo, but stay open.

Thanks,

Greg
    Why not look at a Wista cherry wood, rosewood, quince wood or ebony wood field camera? All your lensboards and most viewing accessories from the SP fit these wooden field cameras.

gregvds,

Did you happen to ask Hugo when the replacement for the 45n-1 would be available and if the new design addresses this problem, or did the discussion come up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The gg back assembly has 3 grooves. The first for the gg of choice, the second for the Fresnel and the third for viewing/focus devices like a reflex finder or a bellows hood or for a loupe.
    I see - so the Fresnel doesn't touch the gg and the loupe etc. doesn't touch the Fresnel (too soft to support it without being supported itself by the gg) but slides over it..? How does such a supported (?) loupe get then to the corners etc?

I see - so the Fresnel doesn't touch the gg and the loupe etc. doesn't touch the Fresnel (too soft to support it without being supported itself by the gg) but slides over it..? How does such a supported (?) loupe get then to the corners etc?
    All of the corners if it is the loupe made for the M679/Techno system. Note, these are digital view cameras and are not large format. The largest format these cameras can use is 6x9cm.

If you use any other loupe then it rests on the Fresnel screen or on the gg if a Fresnel is not used. It would cover exactly the same part of the image as it would on any other camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    All of the corners if it is the loupe made for the M679/Techno system. Note, these are digital view cameras and are not large format. The largest format these cameras can use is 6x9cm.

If you use any other loupe then it rests on the Fresnel screen or on the gg if a Fresnel is not used. It would cover exactly the same part of the image as it would on any other camera.
    I know they are digital photography view cameras (see my post n.19). So the loupe is on a kind of pantograph? And the Fresnel screen is made of a rigid material capable of supporting a different loupe? Just technical curiosity...
    Or is the loupe covering the whole 6x9 area?

I know they are digital photography view cameras (see my post n.19). So the loupe is on a kind of pantograph? And the Fresnel screen is made of a rigid material capable of supporting a different loupe? Just technical curiosity...
    Or is the loupe covering the whole 6x9 area?
    No, the Linhof loupe slides in the slot that attaches it to the camera.

Wista has a sliding loupe arrangement for their 4x5 cameras that slides up and down and left to right on rails. That would be closer to what you are thinking of.

The Fresnel on the M679/Techno is made of the same material as all other view camera fresnels but has a metal hand grip at one end to make sliding it easier. Yes it covers the entire image area. It slides to allow centering it when doing tilts. Most users of these cameras are not shooting film so they don't need the Fresnel to cover the entire 6x9cm area anyway. And most film shooters on these cameras are not shooting 6x9cm. They use 6x7 or 6x6cm.

The "scale of the problems" is that the cameras have to be more precise in their focusing and movements. It has nothing to do with the Fresnel. The Fresnel slides to keep the optical center of the Fresnel in the optical axis of the lens to prevent dimming or blacking out when tilting since asymetrical xis tilts are a modified base tilt rather then an optical axis tilt.

Ok, so if the Fresnel is not rigid how can it support a loupe (non Linhof - post n. 26) and not to touch the gg?

Ok, so if the Fresnel is not rigid how can it support a loupe (non Linhof - post n. 26) and not to touch the gg?
    Why would you apply so much pressure with your loupe that you would affect the Fresnel flatness? You rest the loupe on the gg or Fresnel. You don't apply body weight to it. And you don't press the loupe. You do exactly the same thing you would do when using a loupe on a slide, a negative, a print or a stamp. You look. You don't press. And better loupes have large eye relief so you don't have to be right against the loupe at any time.