Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Thanks for all the positive comments indeed. It gives me good spin to go further. I'll see with the camera in hand if the Fresnel problem is such a problem for me, see if I can work without, see if I need to work it out the other side of the GG, see also if I can source another one that can simply fit in place.

Now, there is my wife question...

I sent an email to Huggo through the Chamonix website. How long takes the guy to answer? I got a first answer, and replied with more questions, now I'm waiting.

I would like to know if you use the leather protection? I read it's glued on the baseplate. Is it mandatory to glue it? Is it glued at the factory or can I choose? I'm interested but would like to know more about it.

Many thanks again,

Greg

Check with Kerry Thalmann at Really Big Cameras. I dealt with him after I too never back from Hugo. Kerry stocks (!) Chamonix cameras and accessories, is very responsive and great to deal with. Do a search for him- worth the effort.
    Last edited by SW Rick; 21-Nov-2009 at 06:18. Reason: Spelling

Hi,

I'm currently discussing through e-mail with Hugo Zhang from Chamonix.

He confirmed me that it is possible to have the fresnel placed on top of the GG for my next order 45N-1.

So maybe this is the good way to go, and solve completely the issue.

I'll keep you informed.

All the best,

Quote Originally Posted by gregvds View Post
    Hi,

I'm on the brinks of selling my Wista 45SP to buy a Chamonix 45N-1.

Mainly, the second one is half the weight of the first one; secondly, movements seems to be bigger. Then I'm interested by a wooden field camera.

Now, I would like to have your advices about that switch. Is it worth it?

Hugo told me if I order now, the 45N-1 will have a specially center-cut (16mm hollow circle) fresnel lens, so It's possible to focus (only in that central zone) accurately wide angle lenses wide open. As far as I understand the problem, this does not seem to be the real solution. I'd rather prefer the fresnel mounted on top of the GG, with crests against the GG.

So, I'm very tempted by the camera, but somehow cooled down by the fresnel-GG issue and the way it is delt by Chamonix.

So, all your advices most welcome!

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by gregvds View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently discussing through e-mail with Hugo Zhang from Chamonix.

He confirmed me that it is possible to have the fresnel placed on top of the GG for my next order 45N-1.

So maybe this is the good way to go, and solve completely the issue.

I'll keep you informed.

All the best,
    None of the Chamonix problem solutions "solves completely the issue" for you.
    The first solution (a gg center hole) is not acceptable for tilts and swings focusing control and the second one brings the additional problem of more difficult focusing with a loupe due to the fresnell lens curves visibility.

You want to exchange (driven by cost reasons?) a technically correctly constructed camera (Wista) with specifications not up to your technical requirements for a technically incorrectly constructed camera (this Chamonix camera type) with specifications corresponding to you photographic needs.
    In your shoes I would not exchange one problem for the other but I would try to eliminate them both - with a different camera altogether.

"the second one brings the additional problem of more difficult focusing with a loupe due to the fresnell lens curves visibility."

Since we are the distributor for Linhof as well as Wista it should be pointed out that the Fresnel lines on an external Fresnel are no problem at all with a properly focused loupe. While the loupe is positioned directly on top of the Fresnel, when it is on the outside of the gg, it should be focused on the grain side of the gg. That means the side that is closest to the lens. Since the loupe would then be positioned the thickness of the Fresnel + the thickness of the gg away from the grain side of the gg the Fresnel lines should not be a problem. Both Linhof and other companies like Sinar place the Fresnel on the eye side of the gg as should the lines be a problem for someone the Fresnel can be easily removed when if it becomes a problem. In Linhof's case, it is simply a matter of swinging a small clip up or down to remove the Fresnel. With Sinar you simply pull off the Fresnel frame.

When the Fresnel is placed under the gg the chance to have the lines in focus are greater then with the above since the lines would be closer to the focus plane with a properly focused loupe.

I see your point Bob but the truth is somewhere in the middle... While it is true that the focusing loupe should be focused (in the case of the external fresnel screen) on the gg glass course side it is also true that this viewed image goes then through the fresnel lines - as opposed to the case of an internal fresnel screen (where - on the other hand - its lines are closer to the gg surface and can disturb the view too).
    That this external fresnel configuration can sometimes be felt as disturbing is then proved by the very fact you state - some cameras have the possibility to remove the external fresnel screen for focusing without it - for a good reason...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    some cameras have the possibility to remove the external fresnel screen for focusing without it - for a good reason...
    And many shooters don't focus their loupe on the ground side of the gg. So the facility to remove the Fresnel. But the main reason to do so if you use a properly focused loupe is that a Fresnel is a lens and has a focal length and it may not be compatible with all of the focal length lenses that a photographer uses. When it is not compatible it should be removed. If you check the catalog you will find that Wista offers Fresnel screens for normal as well as one for long lenses. Many Fresnel screens can black out with camera movements if your eye and loupe are not on axis with the lens. So some camera system allow the Fresnel to be easily removed when necessary. An important feature for a view camera.

To compensate for the on axis problem Linhof's newest view cameras, the M679 system and the soon to be released Techno system use a fresnel on the eye side of the camera that is cut off center and which can slide up and down on the back as tilts are used in order to keep the center of the Fresnel centered in the optical axis as you do movements with these asymmetrical axis cameras.

That's a fine feature, that sliding fresnel!

Now, The subject is flawed, for I'm keeping the Wista, but will go in the future for a Chamonix, just to have something lighter when I want it.

Many thanks for all your comments and answers, they were really helpful.

All the best,

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    To compensate for the on axis problem Linhof's newest view cameras, the M679 system and the soon to be released Techno system use a fresnel on the eye side of the camera that is cut off center and which can slide up and down on the back as tilts are used in order to keep the center of the Fresnel centered in the optical axis as you do movements with these asymmetrical axis cameras.
    I just hope the fresnel in this case doesn't slide directly on the gg - and gather all the dust from it..?
    Anyway, it is interesting to see the scale of the technical problems specific to these digital photography view cameras.

By the way, GPS, I'm interested if you have any suggestion for that third camera that would fit the bill. Of course an ebony is fine, but not on the same league cost-wise, and quite heavy, no? Canham was tempting also, but again, quite big tagprice for me and quite heavy too.

Other brand I didn't look too closely at the mo, but stay open.

Thanks,

Greg