Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Thanks for the kind regards, Clément, appreciated.
    To make the list more complete (?) one could also mention the bad tolerances on the front standard lens board attachment (some users recommended use of a file to get it right after the fall of a lens board with a lens).

never experienced that with any of the three kind of board I have : chamonix, linhof and shen-hao : they fit smothly and securely.
    Couldn't talk about it.

"it sounds to me that any field camera with a bed would have hard time to accommodate ultra-wide with bag bellows."

The Technika 2000 and 3000 take a 35mm focal length with no problems and without a wide angle bellows. The Master Technika, the V and the IV all take a 58 with no problem and no wide angle bellows. It is a matter of design.

yep, just like the 45N-1 :
    it takes down to 47mm without bag bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    So what is so great about a Chamonix? I've seen people even dump their Arca Swiss for one. I find it hard to believe that it is that wonderful.
    It's lightweight, easy to use, good looking, relatively inexpensive, and does maybe 90% of what you want it to do. My only real wish would be separate locking for the front rise and tilt, but then you add more weight again.

Hi everyone!

On the topic of the Chamonix's decision to introduce a new model. I'm a newbie by the way, and have been following the threads here and wherever I've been able to find them about the camera for at least a year.

My understanding is that after the introduction of the 45n-1, many owners discovered design issues with the camera and communicated those to Hugo, who in turn communicated those to the factory. Over time, Chamonix's owner must have decided that rather try to fix or retrofit or whatever, the existing 45n-1, a new model would address most if not all the design issues of the first generation camera.

I don't own a Chamonix, but in their defence I offer this:

They are a small fish, in a big pond competing with some big league manufactures, importers and exporters. They are small in comparison and most likely experiencing in their infancy, growing pains. That said, they need to work on their business and marketing plans. And most specifically, their communication with existing and potential customers.

Hugo, based on information I've culled from these threads as well as my own experience with him has done an admirable job handling inquries, taking orders, and communicating with the factory in China, etc. considering he is based here (Southern California I believe) in the U.S. But I think he is being stretched very thin.

People on this forum have mentioned Terry Thalmann as a Chamonix contact - but I for one have had difficulty communicating with the man. In addition, Hugo has informed me thay Terry is not an authorized dealer for Chamonix.

At least Hugo responds to me and very quickly I might add.

And I double this,

Hugo so far has answered me quickly and helpfully, being open to discuss all matters related to accessories, solutions to the 'problem' and so on.

>>People on this forum have mentioned Terry Thalmann as a Chamonix contact - but I for one have had difficulty communicating with the man. In addition, Hugo has informed me thay Terry is not an authorized dealer for Chamonix.<<

I bought mine from Terry. Fine communication, got the better bellows with the camera. No problems.

--Darin

Smile Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    So what is so great about a Chamonix? I've seen people even dump their Arca Swiss for one. I find it hard to believe that it is that wonderful.
    Doug,

every Chamonix comes with gps (no, not THAT GPS) markings for tripod leg placement for 100 famous LF shots. Of course, as THAT GPS would be quick to note, it can't tell you WHICH legs go in which of the THREE coordinates.

It's a tool- I happen to like mine.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post

I bought mine from Terry. Fine communication, got the better bellows with the camera. No problems.

--Darin
    I don't doubt you. But the fact remains, I have tried several times. I don't know what it is but we just can't seem to be able to make a connection. Even attempts at personal e-mails have failed. IMHO, No one is that busy -- no one!

But it doesn't matter. I've established a rapport with Hugo and that's all that matters.