Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

no kidding ?

I don't get what in my previous posts makes you think I don't know that...

I said that the ebony copies by shen hao are not lighter than ebonys. because you were obviously (at least to me) recommanding shen-haos like the TZ45 IIA.
    I said that the philips copies (chamonix or shen hao) could be the OP's solution because they are significantly lighter.

I mentionned chamonix 45N-1 and not the PTB. that is true. just because the former is "older" and might have improved their copy in comparison to the newer shen hao copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Apffel View Post
    Other point:
    the shen hao won’t solve the weight issue. It isn’t any lighter than the ebony it copy. At least to my knowledge.
    I said that the philips copies (chamonix or shen hao) could be the OP's solution because they are significantly lighter.

Just choose what you want to say... (just to be clear... ) Will help the OP.

I said that the ebony copies by shen hao are not lighter than ebonys. because you were obviously (at least to me) recommanding shen-haos like the TZ45 IIA.
    No kidding?
    I dont' get what in my previous posts makes you think I did so...

lol...

It isn’t any lighter than the ebony it copy
    meaning the shen hao copy of the ebony models, not the copy of the philips models. omg.
    so yes, those things you quote makes perfect sens.

We obviously aren't on the same wavelength on this one GPS.
    I think you will agree with me if I say we should stop flooding that thread.
    at least I will.

poor OP.

No worries about the OP, Clement - he enjoys the little bit of fun we added... ;-)
    (and by the way, I like your pictures, did you know it? ;-)) I mean - those of churches. Very French!
    Last edited by GPS; 23-Nov-2009 at 15:02. Reason: a serious announcement...

Hi over here!

It's hot in here. So, no, basically, Hugo didn't tell me anything about a new 2010 model that would correct this.

What Hugo told be in the other hand is that he discussed with the factory, and it is possible to have the fresnel placed on top of the GG, and covered by a third protective surface.

What it seems also is that they stopped to produce the 45N-1 in Dark Walnut, and propose it in Canadian Maple and Teak now. They still have some model in Dark walnut... but black tainted, with black aluminium, if someone is interested to know.

I'm interested to see the Teak one. I know about just one picture of a 8x10 camera, not very good, not showing a lot of wood, at least not enough to have a good idea of the aspect of the wood. Anybody outhere has a teak one and a digicam in hand?

I'll let you know when I got one :-)

Greg

You have a whole thread about the new 45N-1 in teak wood just here :

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=52522

posts #41 and #42 displays some decent pictures of it.

What Hugo told be in the other hand is that he discussed with the factory, and it is possible to have the fresnel placed on top of the GG, and covered by a third protective surface.
    sounds like a good news. because the 16mm center drilled fresnel sounded like an akward / cheap / unusable solution.

because the 16mm center drilled fresnel sounded like an akward / cheap / unusable solution.
    That's exactly what I answered to Hugo when he proposed me that solution. And what about the focus in the corner, or anywhere in the image. We are not speaking about 135mm reflex camera, where the stigmometer would be annoying here.

So I hope the special announcement (that changed recently if that matters) on the front page of the Chamonix website, would change again in the future if they decide the back fresnel solution is in fact better at avoiding the original focussing problem, and still acheiving some light enhancement, without having the fresnel circles too proeminent under the loupe.

Greg

That's it, I ordered the 45N-1 in Teak, grey parts, with the universal bellows, and the fresnel placed on top. I let you know when I got it.

Thanks to everyone to have helped here.

Greg

The problem Chamonix cameras manufacturer faces is not a technical one but one of business like nature. To put the gg+Fresnel sandwich to the proper focusing distance (something Chamonix just omitted to do in the first place thus creating their problem) is technically neither impossible nor difficult. Chamonix could do so as other camera manufacturers do. But what to do with all the Chamonix cameras sold with the focusing error being now in owners hands? Tell them - "sorry, you should have waited for our new model" is not acceptable. Chamonix faced the problem to recall their products (the only honest solution) and send them back corrected - something that is not acceptable for them as it would ruin their finances (who would pay the S&H charges?) and in many cases the owner is already not the original one...
    Therefore Chamonix decided to correct the error only on their new cameras and to propose the semi-solution of a drilled Fresnel screen (easier to ship) to the disgruntled owners of their older version of cameras.
    There are other pitiful signs of the Chamonix business mentality in their announcement of the "solution" on their site. At the same time as they apologize for the constructional mistake on their camera they accuse "many manufacturers" (of course they do not dare to name them specifically!) of the very same mistake they did! Have you ever heard of the same problem on other cameras except that of Chamonix?
    Therefore the whole apology sounds insincere, as if Chamonix went to greater length than other camera manufactures to deal with the problem simply by taking care not to repeat it anymore.
    One cannot say else than - it's still Chamonix all through...