Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Hi,

I'm on the brinks of selling my Wista 45SP to buy a Chamonix 45N-1.

Mainly, the second one is half the weight of the first one; secondly, movements seems to be bigger. Then I'm interested by a wooden field camera.

Now, I would like to have your advices about that switch. Is it worth it?

Hugo told me if I order now, the 45N-1 will have a specially center-cut (16mm hollow circle) fresnel lens, so It's possible to focus (only in that central zone) accurately wide angle lenses wide open. As far as I understand the problem, this does not seem to be the real solution. I'd rather prefer the fresnel mounted on top of the GG, with crests against the GG.

So, I'm very tempted by the camera, but somehow cooled down by the fresnel-GG issue and the way it is delt by Chamonix.

So, all your advices most welcome!

Greg

Michael E. Gordon

Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

I don't have any comment on the fresnel/WA thing, but there is one significant difference between these cameras: Do you need geared movements like your SP? On the Chamonix, gears and markings are almost wholly absent, so one tends to work by feel and 'look' (what the ground glass tells you). If you need gears, scales, and precision, the Chamonix may not be your cuppa joe.

This being said, the Chamonix suits my style so well (I now have two) that I'm selling my Ebony SV45Ti

No, not specifically. I'm currently guessing from under the cloth, moving one thing at a time, trying to figure out if it was the correct thing to do.

At the moment, I only have the last Schneider 120mm Apo-Symmar L, but I would like to switch it for a 110XL first, then a 80XL, and then see what could be interesting on the side of the tele lens, maybe Fujinon, maybe 210XL or I don't know what else. And for that, the wista seems to be quite limited with the rather sort bellow extent.

Thanks already,

Greg

Since I noticed the fresnel issue, I removed it and I am not looking back.
    Yes the ground glass has central spot and it can be quite tricky to focus my 65mm in corners, but it was equally tricky with the fresnel (actually impossible with the fresnel and doable in average light condition without it. at least for me)

Besides, the chamonix fresnel isn't such a good one. If you REALLY are a uniform&super-bright-image-on-the-ground-glass addict you'll find yourself buying a Maxwell sooner or later anyway.
    The chamonix fresnel does some artefact image in corners with wide angles and I find the lines to be quite coarse. I do not miss it at all.
    (Note that I never used any other fresnel, another user might compare the chamonix fresnel to other brands)
    I agree with you on the fact that the center-cut Fresnel isn’t such a viable solution.
    If I were buying a 45N-1 today from Hugo, I would probably order one without the Fresnel with a discount.

About the "gears and markings": I understand that the chamonix 45N-1 system can be quite simple in comparison to other field cameras such as ebonys.
    But I do not feel the lack of precision Michael Gordon is mentioning.
    It is of course very personal. But I find the "dot alignment" system to be a quite accurate system for a very low cost.
    And at the end, I find the standards positioning accurate enough.
    However, I find myself double checking the levelling of both standards with a horsmann spirit level on tricky architecture shots.

It is as you say a very light field camera for a quite unbeatable price.
    Plus : it is very versatile in terms of lens adaptation. From 47 to 400mm ! and IIRC it can also focus a 450mm to something like few feets with some kind of extension barrel mounted on the lensboard. If you search the forum, you’ll find posts mentioning this.
    For the lenses you mention, the universal bellows or the bag bellows would be needed to use the full range of movements provided by the XL Schneider lenses.

What I’m telling you is I don’t know the wista 45SP but I love my 45N-1.

Hope it helps,
    Regards,
    CA

Why not see how users report what the problems may be between the camera systems? Lens board locks, film plane accuracy, focus locks, local service, local source of accessories, expandability, etc.?

Mr Salomon,
    do you mean these actually exist for Chamonix,
    and not with the Wista SP I have now?

so your advice is avoid it?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregvds View Post
    Mr Salomon,
    do you mean these actually exist for Chamonix,
    and not with the Wista SP I have now?

so your advice is avoid it?

Greg
    I doubt that is what Bob meant. If you search this site, you will find a host of posts on the Chamonix, both positive and negative. Do the same for the Wista. Good luck.

Mike

I sold my Wista SP a few months ago and replaced it with the Chamonix. It was primarily a weight thing (no issues other than that)- after schlepping the SP around on a five day trip, the other SP owner in our group and I looked at each other and said: this weight is killing us! Of course, that is partly a sign of middle age .
    Agree the gears were nice, and the SP was built like a tank, but I've done fine without them, and wouldn't turn back- I'm quite happy with the Chamonix (and my back loves me).
    Bob offers some good points to consider; haven't been problems for me.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

Go Chamonix if you backpack a lot, and/or use long lense a lot (the ability to use Fuji 450/12.5 lens with the extension rack is a BIG plus for Chamonix). Stay with Wista if you prefer faster operation and precise zero-detents etc. Operating the 045n1 is somewhat slow compared to Wista.

The issue with the fresnel of 045n1 was a problem before, since many people either weren't aware of it or didn't believe it, and got de-focused pictures. Now that everyone knows it, and there are many ways to fix it (either by removing the fresnel or shimming it or drilling a hole in the center), I don't see it as a big problem now.

Thumbs up Re: leave Wista 45SP for Chamonix 45N-1?

Wow!
    Lots of positive comments on the Chamonix 045.
    And it's great to know that at least some of us are not so wrapped up in the shortcomings of the Fresnel provided on that camera.
    I knew it would be a potential problem for wide/super wide angle short focal length lenses before I purchased the camera,... it's just the physics/optics issues of Fresnel lenses of any thickness. There are many "fixes" and frankly I have not had a problem with it yet from 150mm Wide and longer focal lengths.
    That said,... The camera is so slow compared to medium format (last 30 years) that slow and fast for LF are not tangible to me.

The Chamonix 045-N appears to be a great way to start LF photography for me.
    I'll assume other people ditto that comment even at the "seasoned/ veteran" LF status.