Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon transfer prints on aluminum

Re: Carbon transfer prints on aluminum

I've seen nice displays of aluminum sheets by gluing some wood to the back of the sheet. Just a couple of bars attached horizontally (to floor) about 1/4 to 1/3 of the sheet width in from top/bottom, and shorter than the sheet by enough so that you don't see the bars unless you look for them.

This does two things for you. First, it spaces the sheet off the wall which helps with that feeling of depth, and it does it so the sheet is nice and stable and parallel to the wall. Second, it gives you a place to attach hanging hardware so that you can hang it without the hardware being seen, and without the sheet leaning out from the top like conventional framing tends to do. The combination is a very clean presentation -- it just floats off the wall a couple of cm without any visible means of support.

You may not want such a contemporary look, IDK. Depends on the look you are trying to accomplish. It's just one way to do it, and of course there are many paths to the waterfall.

Edit: Oy! Monty beat me to it. I'm too old and slow for sure.

Bruce Watson

OTOH, I've seen plates presented as Monty described and they look great.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

[QUOTE=Richard M. Coda;529212]
    What is the life expectancy? Under un-protected circumstances?

Acrylic is a plastic, is it not? Will it yellow? Will it become brittle? Will it detach from the aluminum? I know a carbon print will last for centuries, if not more... the trick is to have a support that will last just as long.

/QUOTE]

Yellowing is not an issue. I have left a sheet of the painted aluminum outside in direct sun for several years and the surface is as white as it was the day I put it outside.

Glass in front is not an option. You would have to see this work to understand how much glass in front detracts from the relief and dimensional qualities.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Sandy,

A good friend and member of this forum David Prifti has shown his wonderful wet plate work recently with great success by floating his work with a wood block behind the image that is slightly smaller than the image itself. He has floated the work inside frames as well as stand alone floats. Both look great, different but equally beautiful. Getting it off the wall though definitely added something to the presentation in my opinion.

Monty
    I would love to see what his work looks like floated inside frames. That is one of the looks I was interested in for my work.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

I think a floating frame would be nice, too. It would give a formal finished look, but still be able to see the uniqueness of the print. I'd love to see these.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

[QUOTE=sanking;529227]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    What is the life expectancy? Under un-protected circumstances?

Acrylic is a plastic, is it not? Will it yellow? Will it become brittle? Will it detach from the aluminum? I know a carbon print will last for centuries, if not more... the trick is to have a support that will last just as long.

/QUOTE]

Yellowing is not an issue. I have left a sheet of the painted aluminum outside in direct sun for several years and the surface is as white as it was the day I put it outside.

Glass in front is not an option. You would have to see this work to understand how much glass in front detracts from the relief and dimensional qualities.

Sandy
    Sandy, I like the options that have been presented here. I like the idea of floating the aluminum off of the wall. I agree that no glass should be put over a carbon print. My feeling is that even my images on the different papers that I use that glass would detract from the proper presentation of my images. You really have to see a carbon print to understand this.

I'm for nailing fingers to the walls if need be! I mean if it says don't touch then don't!! I agree with Vaughn in that you should have a sacrificial print for the touchy feely types.

You gave me the link for the source for the aluminum sheets and I'm going to give it a try. Some of my images would benefit from it. BTW, have you found a way to keep the tissue centered when you transfer the image to the final aluminum support?

The 3-D effect of the process I know will be greatly enhanced by the splendid image you posted.

Best,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post

You gave me the link for the source for the aluminum sheets and I'm going to give it a try. Some of my images would benefit from it. BTW, have you found a way to keep the tissue centered when you transfer the image to the final aluminum support?

The 3-D effect of the process I know will be greatly enhanced by the splendid image you posted.

Would love to see some of your work. You have become one of the best advocates out there for carbon printers. Keep up the good work, both here and in your workshops.

Best,

Jim
    Hi Jim,

You are correct in that one would need to see a carbon print to understand why carbon printers would not want to hide the extraordinary surface qualities of these prints behind glass.

And yes, I have found a way to center the tissue on the aluminum sheet. I will detail this in the thread I started on the carbon group on Yahoo. It is pretty simple, but works well.

Sandy King

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hi Jim,

You are correct in that one would need to see a carbon print to understand why carbon printers would not want to hide the extraordinary surface qualities of these prints behind glass.

And yes, I have found a way to center the tissue on the aluminum sheet. I will detail this in the thread I started on the carbon group on Yahoo. It is pretty simple, but works well.

Sandy King
    Awesome, Sandy thanks. I was headed there next.

Jim

I love your option Kerik.
    Mike

I'd hang it without any additional mat or frame, but put cleats on the back so it floats off the wall.