Page 35 of 114 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets See Your Darkroom

Re: Lets See Your Darkroom

A shared space - the Milwaukee Photographic Coalition. Sectioned off an 8'x10' portion of the over all space and constructed the whole thing of 2x4, luan, and plywood. Up to two-three users at a time (provided they are all working in different medium/formats), and anything from silver prints, wet plate and palladium.

It's all moved around a bit since this was taken...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panorama copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck P. View Post
    It's just the basic plywood sink, except that the bottom is doubled up 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed and I recessed the sink flange using a router. The sides are glued and screwed to the bottom edges. The joints are caulked with a quality polyurethane window and door caulking, the inside sink surfaces have three coats of oil-based primer, outside 2 coats of primer. Water proofing was with Sherwin-Williams waterbased expoxy paint, three coats on the inside surfaces and 2 coats on the outside surfaces.

Attachment 75155Attachment 75156Attachment 75157
    Chuck, like your sink, but I thought that a oil base paint (sealer) could not be used under a water based paint (epoxy). Did you have any problems with that or are they compatible.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    Chuck, like your sink, but I thought that a oil base paint (sealer) could not be used under a water based paint (epoxy). Did you have any problems with that or are they compatible.

Mike
    Sorry Mike, been away a while, just now saw your question-------------the MSDS labeling has recommendations for using the product in exterior wood systems for which it recommends an exterior oil-based wood primer. Basically, I just considered the sink as an exterior wood system and treated accordingly. It's working beautifully.

OK, thanks Chuck , the sink looks good.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck P. View Post
    Nice. Pretty much as the construction of my sinks (marine-grade plywood), no problems (leaks) after a decade. I re–(gel)coat them every few years. Ya gonna rake them and sink a drain somewhere? I used a standard drain kit, silicone caulked, without difficulty.

Is this the darkroom at Redline? Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Nice. Pretty much as the construction of my sinks (marine-grade plywood), no problems (leaks) after a decade. I re–(gel)coat them every few years. Ya gonna rake them and sink a drain somewhere? I used a standard drain kit, silicone caulked, without difficulty.
    The sink is already plummed and in use, the pics are several posts back...............what a nice place to work that you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Is this the darkroom at Redline? Evan Clarke
    No, it's located in Riverwest. It's a private affair at the moment (seven working members). I actually haven't been down to RedLine...

::: First Post :::

I joined this forum to ask a few questions about the Baby Deardorff that I found in my grandfather's studio, but got sucked in to this thread immediately. I was going to build mine this weekend, and now I'm re-thinking a few of my decisions. Great advise in some of these posts. Thanks gang!

(I'll post pics when I'm done later this weekend.)

Finally ! Darkroom is all together (mostly)

Good morning to all. Shot these this morning with my Dad (visiting form Kansas) - several views of my lab. In these you'll see my Durst L184, DeVere 504 (electric) and my sinks (one for paper, the other for film, somplete with nitrogen burst agitation rig). Running a 1414 cold light on the Durst and an Ilford 600H on the DeVere. Have been working on this for nearly a year, now it's running - have processed almost 100 rolls of 35 and only a few sheets of 4X5. The nitrogen system is really a delight to use.

Still have to build duck boards for the sinks, and a rack for my drying screens, oh yeah - and install a stereo for music and news!

Thanks for looking !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Film Sink Pano small.jpg   Stitched #2 small.jpg   Stiched #1 small.jpg