Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best flashlight?

Re: Best flashlight?

All my LED flashlights are purchased from eBay vendors. They all use a #18650 battery.

Search eBay for terms such as "18650" and "Ultrafire" and "CREE".

Each of my camera bags or cases have a small 18650 LED flashlight. On my hip, I wear a larger one that has a zoom lens encased in a ripstop Nylon belt holster. (Yes, I'm a geek!)
    NOTE: be sure to buy the belt holster from the same vendor as the flashlight so the fit will be right. Very often you can find a package deal: flashlight + belt holster.

Be sure to buy an 18650 AC charger because they don't yet seem to be available locally.

Small 18650 LED flashlights often come with an adapter that allows one to use three AAA batteries instead of one 18650. The nice thing about that is you can find AAA batteries just about anywhere in the world, if needed.

I have used my 18650 LED flashlights as kickers when I was Director of Photography on the film "Family Business" when we were filming on city streets in the middle of the night. The flashlights fit perfectly into microphone shock mounts. They also fit into inexpensive bicycle clamps but instead of bikes, I attach them to my light stands.

BTW, "18650" has something to do with the dimensions. The inner workings are a result of laptop computer battery research.

The batteries I buy are marked:
    UltraFire (R)
    BRC 18650 4000mAh
    3.7V Li-ion

Hi Terry. Can you tell me how many lumens they are? I see they go all the way up to about 18,000, but I'm no sure what a useful number would be.

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    My small, light, bright flashlight of many years died and I'm looking for a replacement. I see there are small LED flashlights now--any good? Maglites seem heavy. What's your favorite portable flashlight for reading f/stops in dim light?
    Sure fire is the way to go Maglites are cheaper A lot cheaper. But when the flashlight has to work maglights don't cut it. I am speaking of the aa type.
    I use the sure fire on construction jobs where there is dirt and dust. There the best of the crop.

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    My small, light, bright flashlight of many years died and I'm looking for a replacement. I see there are small LED flashlights now--any good? Maglites seem heavy. What's your favorite portable flashlight for reading f/stops in dim light?
    My 3 yo granddaughter wants a camera. I'm thinking of getting her a Sinar.

My gosh, the OP is talking about reading f/stops in dim light. I'm assuming he's not going to foil a car-jacking (3+ D Maglite) or shoot coyotes at a bazillion yards (Fenix) or whatever.

So here's what you do. Buy one of the Inova Microlights in red. Do you have teeth? If so, you have a holder for the microlight. If you're worried about enough light to get back to the car, get a AA Maglite (We had all the scouts in my troop get them. Never a failure except batteries. There is no tougher test panel than a bunch of Boy Scouts.). With the extra money you save, buy film.

Unless of course you get your jollies by focusing on arcane technical features (been there, done that, and yes, still do).

BTW, I've occasionally read some of the posts on the Candlepower forum. I bet they wonder why we obsess on film and developers.