Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Epoxy Paint to coat wooden sink

Re: Looking for Epoxy Paint to coat wooden sink

I have used the Sherman-Willians also.. good so far for 3 years.. also no smell

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Hello every one.

I'm hoping that someone can recommend a brand of Epoxy Paint that I can use to coat the interior of my wooden darkroom sink.

In the past I've use elastomeric paint and polyurethane, both have failed for long term use. I've stripped these coatings from my sink and repaired wood rot so I'm ready to seal the surface again.

I've read through a lot of posts and noticed some recommendations for epoxy paint that can be used on concrete floors. Will that really work on wood? And is it durable for a darkroom sink?

I've also found a product called Steelcote Epoxy listed on the net but I can't locate a dealer. Also I've found recommendations for GluvIT 2 part epoxy and West epoxy products for boating.

So I'm really confused about what product will make a good solution. Hopefully this group will share the best answer.

Thanks,

Don Bryant
    Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to make a follow up post to this thread and report my results so others may benefit.

I went with the West Systems epoxy resin and it has worked very very well, however I'm still not completely finished.

The results aren't "pretty" but since this was my first experience with the material I'm pretty satisfied. I'll spare everyone with the details.

I can say if you are contemplating building a wooden sink include this material in your plans.

Don Bryant

Just thought I would post a shot of the sink that is finished with West System epoxy. It may not be pretty but it is wonderful now! The epoxy skin stiffened the structure of the sink (not that it was really loose), and of course is totally water tight.

Don

Looks good Don! Inspiring too, as I'm about to commence making a sink myself. Did you paint over the epoxy layers, or put coloring in the epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    Looks good Don! Inspiring too, as I'm about to commence making a sink myself. Did you paint over the epoxy layers, or put coloring in the epoxy?
    Hello Chris,

The final layers of epoxy were pigmented with the West white pigment. I should also point out that I added the West 403 filler to thicken the epoxy for coating vertical sides. The 403 filler is colored white effectively working as a pigment too.

Typically my batches were made using 150 ml of part A, and 30 ml of part B. Only the last coats of the epoxy were pigmented, per West instructions. So when I mixed the pigmented batches I added about 10 ml of pigment to part A & B. I then added filler until I thought it was thick enough. For the size batch mentioned I would add about 2 tablespoons of filler. I also used the 206 version of part B which cures a little slower.

I also made sure that I kept the darkroom warm 24/7 during the period that i was caoting the sink, about 70F. I also stored the epoxy in the darkroom to make sure it stayed at the same temp. and didn't get cold.

Good luck,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Hello Chris,

I also made sure that I kept the darkroom warm 24/7 during the period that i was caoting the sink, about 70F. I also stored the epoxy in the darkroom to make sure it stayed at the same temp. and didn't get cold.

Good luck,

Don

If part A gets to cold it will form crystals. This can be reversed by slowly heating it up to ± 50C