Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Epoxy Paint to coat wooden sink

Looking for Epoxy Paint to coat wooden sink

Hello every one.

I'm hoping that someone can recommend a brand of Epoxy Paint that I can use to coat the interior of my wooden darkroom sink.

In the past I've use elastomeric paint and polyurethane, both have failed for long term use. I've stripped these coatings from my sink and repaired wood rot so I'm ready to seal the surface again.

I've read through a lot of posts and noticed some recommendations for epoxy paint that can be used on concrete floors. Will that really work on wood? And is it durable for a darkroom sink?

I've also found a product called Steelcote Epoxy listed on the net but I can't locate a dealer. Also I've found recommendations for GluvIT 2 part epoxy and West epoxy products for boating.

So I'm really confused about what product will make a good solution. Hopefully this group will share the best answer.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Re: Looking for Epoxy Paint to coat wooden sink

Epoxy resin would work as used for fiberglassing. West Marine has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Epoxy resin would work as used for fiberglassing. West Marine has it.
    Is there a specific product you can recommend from West Marine? I dread the thought of using fiberglass resin. I built a sink years ago using fiberglass resin and the fumes were over powering.

Thanks,

Don

I used this stuff right over plywood. I built my sink 15+ years ago and it's held up very well.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    I used this stuff right over plywood. I built my sink 15+ years ago and it's held up very well.
    what he said. I got mine from a boatbuilding place in oregon for about $20 less than west marine, shipped. That was about two years ago. I can't find the guy's info but originally found it on google.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    Great that's what I needed to know.

Thanks Kerik.

Don

Yes, I've used the West System marine epoxy on a couple of sink units. Three to four coats put on thickly will be fine directly on plywood. Use white and as it gets stained and scratched over the years you can steel wool the surface and add a couple of new coats. My two sinks are now 20 years old and are fine. West 105 resin and 205 hardener. My newest sink is white polypropylene, also very nice.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

There is an easier way,
    maybe not better, but easier if you wish,

I made my dad's darkroom sink from plywood and coated with four layers of Betoxy paint. It is not a real epoxy system as in part A and part B. just paint meant for waterproofing floors etc. Great stuff, 50 bucks a gallon, buy cheap brushes, there is no cleaning them really, toss them, and do a few layers and you are done.
    The paint comes in white and black. Other companies may offer it other colors.
    Last edited by Allen in Montreal; 16-Nov-2009 at 19:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Yes, I've used the West System marine epoxy on a couple of sink units. Three to four coats put on thickly will be fine directly on plywood. Use white and as it gets stained and scratched over the years you can steel wool the surface and add a couple of new coats. My two sinks are now 20 years old and are fine. West 105 resin and 205 hardener. My newest sink is white polypropylene, also very nice.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Nate,

What do you mean by white? I thought the 105 resin and the 205 hardener made a clear - amber colored coating. Is there a pigment or colorant that I can add?

Thanks,

Don

I used a Sherwin-Williams product Waterbased Tile Clad Epoxy which has held up for over 20 years.

Here is link, paint should be available at local store

http://protective.sherwin.com/detail...3aproduct-6859

--
    Alan