Thread: Arca style QR and Gitzo advice please

Arca style QR and Gitzo advice please

Has anyone any experience of using the Gitzo GS5160CDT Arca Plate Adapter?
    Does it work well and safely?

Is anyone using the Gitzo GS5760C (C profile QR Adapter), and if so does that work well, and does it screw directly onto a tripod plate?

I use two tripod heads at the moment - a Manfrotto 410 geared head (which I've converted with a RRS QR clamp. This works very well, but the 410 is quite heavy when I'm really trying to cut down weight for hiking.

So I also have a Gitzo G2270M low profile head (the model with the large top plate). I prefer this to the geared head, but it doesn't have a QR, and I also much prefer the QR mechanism!

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience of the Gitzo Arca plate converters?

This is for 4x5 by the way - nothing bigger.

Thanks.
    Last edited by newmoon2night; 15-Nov-2009 at 05:01.

Re: Arca style QR and Gitzo advice please

For what it's worth, I use a plate and adapter from Really Right Stuff (http://reallyrightstuff.com). I've been to their main store and have also purchased from them on line. They are good folks.

By the way, they have plates made specifically for quite a few 4x5 cameras.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. Herman View Post
    For what it's worth, I use a plate and adapter from Really Right Stuff (http://reallyrightstuff.com). I've been to their main store and have also purchased from them on line. They are good folks.

By the way, they have plates made specifically for quite a few 4x5 cameras.

Bruce
    Thanks Bruce

Which RRS plate do you use, or if it's quite small does it feel strong enough with whichever camera you use?

I was going to get a Kirk PZ39 but when I saw it, it was way to heavy for what I wanted (backpacking).
    I may be looking for what doesn't exist - a lightweight plate with 3/8" screw (not bushed) and strong enough to support the 4x5 camera (body weighs 2KG so a relatively lightweight one).
    RRS recommend either a B29 or MPR73 plate.

I already have a RRS ballhead and clamp, but this was to use with a Gitzo low profile head and Gitzop QR Arca adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by newmoon2night View Post
    I may be looking for what doesn't exist - a lightweight plate with 3/8" screw (not bushed) and strong enough to support the 4x5 camera (body weighs 2KG so a relatively lightweight one).
    Arca-Swiss makes plates just as you describe. (We are so accustomed to going to Really Right Stuff, Kirk, or Wimberley for plates that we forget that Arca actually invented the system )

Such as this one in the B&H catalog.

You can also bolt a RRS/Kirk plate to the 410 quick-release plate with two screws, making a very secure adapter. That will let you switch back and forth between your heavy and your light tripod.

Rick "who oftens finds those A-S plates used" Denney

Rick
    Thanks for the post.
    With my 410 I have already taken it apart and fitted a RRS clamp instead of the Manfrotto clamp. So that is fine. - works very well.
    However I've recently bought a new 4x5 body, and the Wimberley plate I was using on prevous body, is not right for the new body.
    Having spoken to RRS I am going to get one of their B29 plates.
    With Gitzo I was originally thinking of getting their GS5160CDT, which is supposed to convert their QR system to Arca compatible. But having just read two reviews of this converter on the US Amazon site, I won't bother. Both reviews say the converter simply does not work!!!!
    So it's back to the drawing board with the Gitzo low profile lightweight head!